Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' Cl550 / 01' S430 / 12' Range Rover Supercharged
Smile Command module Issue for W221 and W216

I had the following issue in my 09 CL550 w216:

Cracking / popping sound from speaker when radio or cd changer is in use
the audio menu is jummpy and shifts on its on
the cd plays for 5 seconds and stops
voice command beeping

After dealer visit: Sound not working, menu is all fine but no sound or radio stations. *they want to replace whole command for $10,000.00*

Any help would be appreciated!!!

~~ I took it to the dealer and asked for a software/firmware update to the command system and it seemed to do the trick. Remind you, theyll say gps update but you have to make sure you say firmware for the command system because they first kept referring to a nav update. After doing a lot of research on all the MB forums I came to the conclusion that its most likely the software issue because everything seems to work fine besides the audio menu and cracking when radio is on. I tried the fuse reset method and it worked for a day and then the issue came back. So I was a little scared to take it to the dealer thinking of a high bill but it turned out to be easy cheap fix. My service advisor first said it most likely a faulty module and would need replacing but I know him fairly well so he said hell try his best to update and detach and reattach the module to see if it helps before even going the route of replacing stuff. Turns out my car had this issue before once and it was due to software and it was never updated.~~

Last edited by Zoohair; 11-17-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
I bought my friend a 2011 CL 550 last year with 9K miles. When I bought it the warranty was up the day the transaction took place, so I was able to get and extended warranty on the same day. When the car arrived there was NO sound and the entire command system was dead except for some trivial functions. The warranty stated that the car must be driven 1K miles before any warranty claim could be filed. Well, he took it on a drive and in a month racked up 1.2K miles and in to the dealer it went. They had to replace a very expensive module but 100.00 later the car was fixed. I think the bill to the warranty company was 2,600.00. That is what I paid for the warranty. It paid for itself in one visit. Now if anything goes wrong it's all gravy.
Id check to see if you can get one on Ebay for a few hundred and have it programmed to work. Make sure it has the correct numbers matching unit. Best of luck!