CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Bump, harsh ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
Bump, harsh ride

After 20+ years of "S" classes, I moved to a CL two years ago. It now has 38k miles, factory Continentals (not ride flat/rigid sidewalls). Ride is subjective, I understand, but, why would the ride be bumpy, harsh, feel and hear every road bump? The platform's essentially the same as the S. Town and highway the same. It's no less harsh when in Sport mode. Sport is a more rigid, responsive ride, right? I've ridden in a friend's older Lexis LS450 and a friend's new 7 series BMW and both are much smoother and quieter. It's frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 S560; 2019 Range Rover Supercharged; 1985 European model 280SL, Navigator Black Label, Lexus LX
Unfortunately I can't help with any troubleshooting ideas. However I would suggest taking it in for a look as this isn't right.

I too owned a W221 S class and after that I bought a 2012 750li. The S class was without question a smoother and more refined ride vs the 750. The BMW rides stiffer and the gears are rougher too. It's marketed as more of a "driver's" car and I felt that to be the case.

i just traded in the BMW right as my warranty expired as it is a trouble prone V8 from hell and I didn't want to pay the next repair bill. Hopefully I'll have good luck with my CL which could be similar although nothing compares to the issues those N63 engine BMWs have had.

I literally just bought a CL550 and can say the ride is much smoother than the BMW. I like it better than the S class but it is a similar ride to that. If you are feeling rough id think you could have issues. maybe hubs? Or something else simple like tires but I'm totally guessing as I can only share my comparative experience. Seeing as I am two days out of my BMW though I think my recollection is still good.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:19 AM

2007 Mercedes Benz CL 550
Rough ride can be tires over inflated to a suspension damper gone bad. CL's usually ride nice and soft too even in sport mode which is actually standard mode and comfort mode is really the optional mode. I use sport mode all of the time. Check the tires if you have them at 40 psi thats your problem. I keep mine at 35 and I notice the hardness compared to the 29 psi factory recommend pressure for my year. If you go over a speed bump and it is hard as a rock in the front or the rear you have a blown accumulator for the front or rear axle and all of this only applies to Active Body Control equipped cars. Or "ABC" if you will. Ill throw in some suspension advice too. If you get a groaning sound from the ABC/steering pump and no warnings on the dash, do not replace the pump! Only replace the damper on top of the pump. Sooner or later this will happen and you will thank me for that info when needed. Owning these cars can be expensive and if you can find a MB tech in your area with a Star laptop who works on the side that will save you a ton of money. Good luck and look on Craigs as many techs advertise there in the services section. Then you can call them and grille them for experience and if they have the laptop or not. Peace and drive fast life is too short!
The following users liked this post:
vidar@vipro.as (12-02-2018)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:59 PM

2007 S550V4 2001 S430 (Sold) 1976 450 SL
OMG, after all the yrs. of being on this forum, this is the most spot-on, practical and informative reply to any questions I ever posted here. I'll take all said to heart. Hope I can get my "ride" back.

Thanks so much for caring and sharing.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 G55 AMG, 08 CL65 RennTech
Originally Posted by Em Bee Lover
OMG, after all the yrs. of being on this forum, this is the most spot-on, practical and informative reply to any questions I ever posted here. I'll take all said to heart. Hope I can get my "ride" back.

Thanks so much for caring and sharing.
Are you riding in an AMG version? That may have something to do with it too