CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Subaru -> C-Class -> E-Class -> CL-Class - Someone push/pull me over the fence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 Coupe
Subaru -> C-Class -> E-Class -> CL-Class - Someone push/pull me over the fence

My wife purchase a Subaru with their Eyesight (i.e., Distronics Plus) system and admittedly I was smittened being able to drive 30 miles in steady highway traffic without having to press the accelerator or brake. In all likelihood my 7-mile daily commute will change to a 40-mile daily commute, thus my manual FJ Cruiser is no longer the best car for me. The Subaru BRZ is a fun-looking sports car, but it is the only one in their line-up w/o Eyesight, and I refuse to purchase a Legacy 4-door sedan (yes, vanity). I saw a 2015 C-Class coupe for $31K that I hoped would have autonomous cruise control since it had lane assist and blind spot alerts; however, it did not and have since learned that those three features are not part of the same package like the Subaru Eyesight system.

Mission-creep continued when the E-Classes started popping-up on my searches for auto cruise control, and almost had a deal done for a 2014 E-350 w/ 35k miles for $31K but again at the last minute the seller discover that there was no autonomous cruise control. You can probably tell my now I have been working with dealers: 1) not in my market, and 2) they are not MB dealers.

Next which popped up on the search list after some great advice I received from this board and searching for "coupes" and "Distronics" were the CL-Class vehicles. Now my search for auto-cruise along with 4matic is no longer a needle-in-a-haystack exercise, but that comes at a cost of pushing my budget from $32'ish to $39'ish. Not a deal-killer.

What has me worried is the cost of maintenance. My Toyota FJ is been largely trouble free for the last five years. Someone wrote it best that you might be paying $40K for a car, but you will still need to service what was a $125K vehicle. Someone tell me to either: a) quit Chicken-Littling it and take the plunge for I'll have a vehicle I'll love driving for the next ten years, or b) to return to the shallow-end of the pool because sometime, somewhere that little problem is going to come with a $5K repair bill and if you have to ask, you can't afford.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CL 550 4 Matic
Once you drive a CL you won’t care what it costs to keep it running! That being said, the distronic on mine makes me nervous... it accelerates too hard , brakes too hard, lags behind the car in front then gets too close,. It works better at hiway speeds with occasional traffic.my wife has a Tesla... the speed control on it works pretty darn well in comparison (much smoother in stop and go). 2007 technology vs 2016 makes a difference! My cl is a 2013 with 23k miles... I bought it a year ago with 7500miles on it for $52k. Like Ricardo Montoblan said, “I want to be buried in this car!” (Saturday nite live parody). One thing to note about used luxury Mercedes: they are low volume manufacture and built much better than typical cars. Quality products work better and last longer imho.