CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Is buying a past facelift CL worth it? Buyers guide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CL550 Graphite Designo, 2005 e320 4matic Wagon, 2001 Mercedes S430 (SOLD) , 1988 Porsche 944 S
Is buying a past facelift CL worth it? Buyers guide

Hi all,
Currently the owner of a beautiful 2001 s430 and I think my next car will be a CL. The three features I am looking for are amg sport package, designo interior, and distronic plus. The facelifted models (2011-2014) would cost me 5-10k more than say a 2008. I wanted to start this thread to discuss the changes that came with the facelift for others in my situation. Also, while we're here, any buying advice or things to stay away from is always helpful.
So we know that they dropped the displacement, added turbos, increased fuel economy, and got 32% more torque with the facelift, nice, but not sure it justifies the price. Also, I am aware of some upgrades to pre-safe, blind spot monitoring, and lane keep assist. The last two I mentioned are important to me but not 10k important.
As an interior fanatic, I read this in an article and it got my attention: "Inside, the higher-quality trim materials and new color options are matted with..." is it true that there were changes to the interior? Were higher quality materials used and can you notice a difference?
Hopefully, this thread can begin to help me in the year-long hunt for a CL550 I am about to take part in!
Old 03-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Another major difference-- 2008 is RWD and has ABC suspension which is outstanding but can have a large repair cost if it fails. All facelift vehicles are 4-matic, 4 wheel drive which might be desirable if you live in the snow belt. Given that this was a limited production vehicle, there may be very few of them available inn good condition that have AMG sport package, distronic plus, and designo interior. Distronic was available in 2008, but NOT distronic plus. Newer models gave a warning of vehicles in your blind spot in the side mirrors.

Keyless go is a nice feature, but was an option. Dynamic seats have air bladders which may have failed and can cost a much as $5000 to repair.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:52 PM

2008 CL550 Graphite Designo, 2005 e320 4matic Wagon, 2001 Mercedes S430 (SOLD) , 1988 Porsche 944 S
Originally Posted by steveb9771
Another major difference-- 2008 is RWD and has ABC suspension which is outstanding but can have a large repair cost if it fails. All facelift vehicles are 4-matic, 4 wheel drive which might be desirable if you live in the snow belt. Given that this was a limited production vehicle, there may be very few of them available inn good condition that have AMG sport package, distronic plus, and designo interior. Distronic was available in 2008, but NOT distronic plus. Newer models gave a warning of vehicles in your blind spot in the side mirrors.

Keyless go is a nice feature, but was an option. Dynamic seats have air bladders which may have failed and can cost a much as $5000 to repair.
I didn't know that the early models came with ABC. I do however think that they came with distronic plus based on my reading of sales brochures from the time. They are out there, here's a link to one in CA (I'm in CT), I'd buy it but I wasn't really intending on buying one for a few months. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=193058994
Old 03-26-2018, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl500
Having researched the pre and post facelift models - i am very happy I went for a post facelift blueefficency model. The styling the extra toys and the better fuel consumption (for motorways especially) swung it for me, in the end I grabbed a great price probably only 4 k more than the older model.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by deco101
Having researched the pre and post facelift models - i am very happy I went for a post facelift blueefficency model. The styling the extra toys and the better fuel consumption (for motorways especially) swung it for me, in the end I grabbed a great price probably only 4 k more than the older model.
Which cars are considered Blueefficency models? I have noticed some CL550 with the tag on them and some without.

While I'm here I should mention that the title of this thread is supposed to be "post facelift" not "past facelift". Is there a way to edit this after the fact?
Old 03-27-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Originally Posted by Gordon Cooke
I didn't know that the early models came with ABC. I do however think that they came with distronic plus based on my reading of sales brochures from the time. They are out there, here's a link to one in CA (I'm in CT), I'd buy it but I wasn't really intending on buying one for a few months. https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=193058994
This one appears to meet all of your desires. It is RWD like all 2008 models and all had ABC. There are very few of these in existence. The gas mileage of the facelift models is NOT that much better in most situations. I have a 2007 and have observed 30 MPG for an 90 minute freeway trips at a constant 70 MPH. For other trips I get between 25 to 28 Mpg. This is much better that the claimed highway rating. Driving in stop and go street traffic can drop to 17 MPG. I believe some of the newest facelift models had the feature that shut off the engine when stopped at an intersection and then automatically started when you pressed the gas pedal which saved gas consumed when idling.

I was in error about Distronic Plus. This vehicle DOES have it as well as blind spot monitoring which is evident by the picture of the side mirror showing the small yellow triangle, One other feature unique to this vehicle is FREE traffic data shown of the GPS display if you live near a major city. Facelift vehicles require a paid monthly subscription for Sirius traffic data. One disappointment is the last GPS map update was 2015/2016 and no further updates will be issued.

Be sure to verify that the seat air bladders are working. Easy test is to verify back massage function works for both the driver and passenger front seat. If it doesn't work, the repair cost could exceed $5000. The air bladders control several seat adjustments including lumbar support.

If this vehicle checks out mechanically or if you can get it with a full coverage warranty for at least a year, I would grab it as there are very few of these in existence. If this has been only a California car, it is much more desirable than a car from the snow belt.