CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

CL600 Location of fuse and relay for intercooler pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CL600 RennTech and 2001 CLK430 AMG
CL600 Location of fuse and relay for intercooler pump

I recently purchased a 2009 CL600, and found that the intercooler pump (or "Charge Air Cooler Circulation Pump" as MB calls it) was bad. I've just replaced it (with the Bosch -10 one), clamping off the hoses as best I could (still got soaked, and lost perhaps a quart of fluid on the ground). Now I'd like to check the pump and bleed the system.

I'm getting conflicting information on the fuse location and relay location for the intercooler pump circuit, which is circuit "M44" I believe. Can someone please direct me to the proper place?

Bonus marks for telling me which relay pin to ground or bring to 12V in order to close the relay to test the pump.

Thank you!,
Greg

P.S. I also recently purchased a Zurich ZR-Pro scanner on sale at Harbor Freight. Under ECM->Charge Air Cooler->Activation, there's a way to turn on (F3) or off (F4) that M44 relay. But it doesn't work ... returns to the previous page rather than doing anything. I think it's a bug in the Zurich software rather than a problem with my car, and have reported it in Feedback to Zurich. But that's likely to take a while to be addressed, and I need to get my car back together. But of course I want to test the pump first, and hence the need for the fuse and relay location.

Last edited by gregreid; 07-03-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 CL550
I'm about to replace the intercooler pump on my S600. How did you realize it was bad? Did you have any symptoms?
Old 07-05-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CL600 RennTech and 2001 CLK430 AMG
Before purchasing the car, I bought the Zurich ZR-Pro scanner and used it to check out the car (in a pre-purchase inspection) at the dealership. Starting the car and graphing the Charge Air Temperature showed a steady increase to over 190F before I turned it off. So I suspected a bad intercooler pump. Further corroborated by removing the intercooler filler cap and noticing that the fluid remained stationary. After I bought the car (negotiating a further $500 discount for the bad pump) and I pulled off the right wheel and inside fender cover to see the pump, I could read that it was the old "03" model so I wanted to replace it anyway (with the "10" model). And once I was at the point where I could get my hand on the pump, I could feel that it wasn't doing anything with the engine on and hot charge air.

By the way, I finally figured out for myself (reading lots of other forum appends here and elsewhere) that for my 2009 CL600, the charge air cooling pump fuse is #116 (which is in the fuse box behind the rear seat armrest) and probably (still not 100% sure) relay "Q". But of the seven relays on that circuit board, "Q" is the only one that is physically impossible to get to with the board in place.

So I gave up, put the car back together, and took it out for a drive to get the turbo on boost and the charge air heated up. I monitored it with the scanner while driving and it never got over 145F. And after returning home and pulling off the fill cap (carefully!), I could clearly see the fluid moving. I also used a large tight-fitting funnel to fill up with Zertec and left it running for a half hour or so as the bubbles percolated up through the funnel and more Zertec replaced those bubbles.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 CL550
Great, thank you for the detailed response!