ILS fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CL500 5.5 W216
ILS fault

Hi all,

I had a dipped beam lamp go out on me about a year and a half ago on my 07 W216 CL500. I replaced the bulb with a D1S from amazon and they both worked after being changed no problem. Almost immediately after this though the ILS inoperative error comes up on the dash and this week I've had to change another dipped beam bulb.

​​​​​​I disabled the ILS SYSTEM back then and left it. When I re enable ILS it will work for about 10 mins of driving and then the ILS Inoperative error comes back. Does anyone know what could cause this? From what I've read it can be the ballast, but I'm having trouble finding a ballast / control module online or ebay that fits this car.
Or is it that the budget bulbs I bought are causing an error becuase their not Mercedes ones?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-10-2020, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
It's not the bulb - Mercedes doesn't make bulbs.

It could be the ballast, but it could also be a leveling sensor or leveling motor. Can you hook it up to SDS? That should tell you exactly where the fault is.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CL500 5.5 W216
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
It's not the bulb - Mercedes doesn't make bulbs.

It could be the ballast, but it could also be a leveling sensor or leveling motor. Can you hook it up to SDS? That should tell you exactly where the fault is.
OK thanks!
I don't have SDS so will have to get it diagnosed to find out, do you know if those tablet icarsoft MB2's will be able to diagnose it or should I just spend the money of someone with star?
Also do you know how easy/difficult a motor or ballast change is for a diy'er? I can do brakes n servicing etc but I'm. By no means a mechanic.

Thanks for your help.