CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Lowering links setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering links setup

I just got a set of lowering links for my 2008 CL550. Do I need to shorten or lengthen them to lower the car? It seems I read somewhere that it's different from front to rear.
Would I be better off taking it to a dealer and have them do it with software? If so, what do they usually charge for this "service"?
Mike M.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:21 AM
SPONSOR

Received 820 Likes on 635 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by Jorma
I just got a set of lowering links for my 2008 CL550. Do I need to shorten or lengthen them to lower the car? It seems I read somewhere that it's different from front to rear.
Would I be better off taking it to a dealer and have them do it with software? If so, what do they usually charge for this "service"?
Mike M.
lol
if you want lower, just think
then you want to cheat the car being higher right

Old 01-22-2021, 09:15 AM

lowering links setup

Is the W215 ride height sensors set up exactly the same as the W216?
Mike M.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:53 AM
SPONSOR

Received 820 Likes on 635 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by Jorma
Is the W215 ride height sensors set up exactly the same as the W216?
Mike M.
the same
Old 01-22-2021, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
the front has to be extended the rear needs to be shortened,
And the Dealer would never ever lower your car and you should never ever attempt to lower a ABC car with the Mercedes Computer (only vehicles with Air suspension can be lowered that way)

its easy to install them, the only issue you might have if the car was located in a Snow region for most of its life you might have some rust around the Height Level Sensor, aside from that it should take about an Hour to install all 4 of these

My car lowered on 21's and still rides great
Old 01-22-2021, 02:05 PM

@andreny,
Thanks, that's the info I needed. You don't happen to remember how many mm you changed your link lengths to, do you? Now If I could find somebody who can tell me how to remove the grille I'd be golden (I've taken out the 4 10mm bolts and beat, pried and pulled and it won't budge).
I agree your car looks great. I'm assuming you raise it to drive?
Mike M.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
Thanks this is actually how i drive the car at this height (i do live in Florida where the roads are almost perfect, well considering i used to live in NYC and Boston they are def perfect) unfortunately i cannot tell you what the adjustment was as it took me literally 7 tries to get it to sit where im happy with it (so i removed them and installed the 7 times, but once you install them especially the fronts they come right out)

also not sure if you are talking about the hood grille but thats a pretty straight forward removal

here is a video

Old 01-22-2021, 07:48 PM

Thanks, I'd found that video right away, but his grille must have been in and out many times, since his literally lifts right out. I've banged, pried, and cussed and haven't been able to budge it. Since it's approximately $750 to replace it makes me nervous. The cheap links I bought off eBay have both ends RH threads, if they were smart they would have done LH and RH threads so you could just turn the threaded rod to adjust without having to remove one end.
Understand about the roads in NY, we picked up a motorcoach in Connecticut and I thought the roads in NY was going to shake it apart.
Very interesting color combo on your car, I've never seen one in the combo. I was hoping to find a bright red (not metallic), but couldn't.
Mike M.