CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

M278 cl500 , cl550 in us , 2012 w216 engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 e280 2007 petrol
M278 cl500 , cl550 in us , 2012 w216 engine rebuild

Hey everyone I have my m278 engine rebuild in progress from cl500 2012 au model I think in USA they called cl550 , first it was like a rattling noise I thought it was a timing chain problem so I ordered the new blue timing complete kit from fcp Euro and also breather valve or pvc valve , I took the engine off and a part to find all pistons and cylinders walls have deep secateurs.
so now I end up with 3 options
1- buy another engine for around 15k and you never know what you going to get and no history that you can tell for sure if that engine actually worth it or it's just a rubbish engine.
2- Mercedes new engine 110k , no comments
3- engine sleeves and new pistons.
I'm going to go with the 3ed opinion the problem is though I have never done something like that before so I really don't know which direction to do .
Also the most important think is what caused the problem in the first place I don't want to spent all that money to end up with the same problem again I'll but some pictures and if you guys can help with any suggestions on what to do and where to buy from and what is the problem that would really help , I appreciate the time guys .
I have ordered
​1- timing kit for 1600 aud + 315 gst
2- head gasket and crankshaft gear for 600 aud
​​​​3- breather valve 200 aud

So if you guys have anything to help with please do ,
also for the crankshaft I'll take it to some shop for them to check it I think it's ok but as I said my first time so not really sure , the connection rods is I have seen a couple of YouTube how to check them if they bent but is there anything else you guys would suggest to do with them also I'll chang the crankshaft bearing the is no real wearing on them but they not that experience but if I don't have to change them that would save some money but let see what would you guys say about that , the pistons and sleeves I don't know where to get them from please help with that if you have any suggestions, the heads I'll clean them and service them my self , the cause of the problem I have had 2 reasons on my mind so far
1- is over heating
2- low oil , but from the look of the pistons I don't know if the low oil have had done that because the side of the pistons not the skirt the other side looks OK and looks like there was a plenty of oil on the car.
I have bought the car form the auction so I don't know what happened before only rattling noise from the front of the engine.
thank you very much everyone and appreciate your time guys .

Last edited by Hector 313; 03-29-2021 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 S500
Hi Hector,

How did you go with your rebuild?

I have an engine knock and cannot exactly figure out what the problem has been so far.

I could potentially be going down this route and resleeving also. I need to check my cylinder walls though to confirm that.

Any other comments. Did you find your rattle?

Is there a way to check that the oil pressure is correct and getting pumped up as there is enough in the pan but maybe not enough working it’s way up through the engine? I just don’t know how to check this so I am still researching my this if it’s a thing.

Thank you and hopefully it all went well for you
Old 12-29-2021, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 e280 2007 petrol
Originally Posted by AlVoj
Hi Hector,

How did you go with your rebuild?

I have an engine knock and cannot exactly figure out what the problem has been so far.

I could potentially be going down this route and resleeving also. I need to check my cylinder walls though to confirm that.

Any other comments. Did you find your rattle?

Is there a way to check that the oil pressure is correct and getting pumped up as there is enough in the pan but maybe not enough working it’s way up through the engine? I just don’t know how to check this so I am still researching my this if it’s a thing.

Thank you and hopefully it all went well for you
for the knocking sound there could be timing chain, timing chain tensioner, camshaft adjusters or the pistons and cylinders , to check the cylinder you need a camera that go in side from the spark plugs , but first confirm the camshaft adjusters then check the tensioners then timing chain then then think about sleeves it's not easy and not cheap to do the rebuild and my advice do the upgraded for the pistons and cylinders by using darton sleeves, you need to be very organised and labell every think and but the parts in plastic bags with the labell take pictures with your phone to everything along the way , keep the parts with there screws and keep them in safe place also make sure you have the Mercedes benz repair manual or as we call service manual or workshop manual. All the best with your project