CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Replacing Driver Seat Back Cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 05:16 PM

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Replacing Driver Seat Back Cover

The bolster on my driver seat is showing some wear. Surprisingly, the part is not very expensive from MB--like $300. I can't find any instructions on how to replace a seat cover in a C216 model. Plenty of instructions for other cars, but not mine. Can anyone provide instruction for removing/reinstalling the back seat cover, or point me to a source? I'm reluctant to jump in and start, especially as I'll be working around the side airbag.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
There's a cloth tail connected to the plastic seatback cover. If you reach under the seat, you'll find that there's an elastic tether hooked to the seat frame. It's tough to see, but you can feel you're way to where it connects so that you can unhook it. Once unhooked you can fold the tail up to expose two small screws located at the seatback base. Remove those and then I beleive you simply push down on the seatback cover to release it to expose cooling fans and hydraulic hoses. It's straightforward. To replace the elastic hook, use a wire hanger from the front to pull the tether under the seat frame to reconnect it.
Old 12-12-2021, 06:37 AM

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
There's a cloth tail connected to the plastic seatback cover. If you reach under the seat, you'll find that there's an elastic tether hooked to the seat frame. It's tough to see, but you can feel you're way to where it connects so that you can unhook it. Once unhooked you can fold the tail up to expose two small screws located at the seatback base. Remove those and then I beleive you simply push down on the seatback cover to release it to expose cooling fans and hydraulic hoses. It's straightforward. To replace the elastic hook, use a wire hanger from the front to pull the tether under the seat frame to reconnect it.
Thanks for your reply! I'll give that a try today. I looked under there previously looking for the elastic loop, but could not see it. I did not tilt the seat all the way up, though, so perhaps that will give me access. Do you have any advice for what happens once I get the back panel off? I presume I need to remove the headrest, the silver handle to access the back seat, etc. Is the airbag attached to the seat leather, or does the seat leather/cover just slide up and over the frame?

If anyone is interested, here the is the link to the back seat cover leather...
https://parts.mbofcovington.com/oem-...21691009479f17
Old 12-12-2021, 07:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Watch this video: