CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Need help w/ crazy $12,000 part

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 07:14 AM

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Need help w/ crazy $12,000 part

So my 2008 CL550 is at the dealer to have a few things fixed. One of the problems is the rear quarter window is not going up correctly, getting stuck before it fully closes. It turns out the rubber is torn where is the window slides down into the body, and is bunching up, not allowing the window to close correctly. My SA tells me that I can't just order a new rubber part...I need the entire rear interior panel--meaning the leather part. And the cost...$12,000! For just the part. This is the most bonkers price I've ever heard for a MB part, even by their lofty standards.

Amazingly, I have a warranty that I could probably have pay for this craziness, but they won't pay more than the cost of the vehicle at a visit, and I'm probably pushing up against that ceiling with the other issues added in. Plus, I think 100% they would figure out a way to cancel this contract if I were to claim this, because they clearly did not sell me the warranty thinking the car would be costing them this much. So, Ebay. And this is where my question comes in. The $12,000 part is 216-690-00-00-9E24. I can get it on Ebay for $250 for this part which is listed for a CL63 AMG, or $200 for a part listed for a regular CL550. A new insert for a regular CL550 is only $1200.

So does anyone know what (if) there is any difference between these parts? The color code is the same. The body is certainly the same. Why would a CL550 w/ AMG sport package need a crazy priced AMG part?
Old 09-02-2022, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
I can't speak to the parts interchangeability; however, a quick internet search provides several website selling OEM discounted parts. You may also want to consider purchasing used from a MB dismantler. Here's a parts search that you site that you can try: https://www.junkyardpartslocator.com/Default.aspx

Here's another site in Phoenix: https://www.tri-starparts.com/inventory/

You may want to purchase the less expensive part first and see if it fits. If it doesn't, then return it. . .but I think you'll have success with locating a used part.
The following users liked this post:
nath_h (09-02-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 04:57 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2010 CL550
Originally Posted by nath_h
So my 2008 CL550 is at the dealer to have a few things fixed. One of the problems is the rear quarter window is not going up correctly, getting stuck before it fully closes. It turns out the rubber is torn where is the window slides down into the body, and is bunching up, not allowing the window to close correctly. My SA tells me that I can't just order a new rubber part...I need the entire rear interior panel--meaning the leather part. And the cost...$12,000! For just the part. This is the most bonkers price I've ever heard for a MB part, even by their lofty standards.

Amazingly, I have a warranty that I could probably have pay for this craziness, but they won't pay more than the cost of the vehicle at a visit, and I'm probably pushing up against that ceiling with the other issues added in. Plus, I think 100% they would figure out a way to cancel this contract if I were to claim this, because they clearly did not sell me the warranty thinking the car would be costing them this much. So, Ebay. And this is where my question comes in. The $12,000 part is 216-690-00-00-9E24. I can get it on Ebay for $250 for this part which is listed for a CL63 AMG, or $200 for a part listed for a regular CL550. A new insert for a regular CL550 is only $1200.

So does anyone know what (if) there is any difference between these parts? The color code is the same. The body is certainly the same. Why would a CL550 w/ AMG sport package need a crazy priced AMG part?
Nath, what company do you have a warranty on this car from? I’ve been looking for one on my 2010 CL550 and so far endurance was the only one willing to offer, I don’t know if that’s good or bad.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:39 AM

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
I bought it directly from my MB dealer in Des Moines. The underwriter for the contract is Assurant. However, they may now have a special note next to Mercedes CL not to write any more policies after the two claims I've submitted . If you can get one from Assurant, it is the way to go, because it is the only policy I could find that is not cumulative for claims. I could technically have a claim each month, as long as it does not exceed the value of the car at the time of claim. Every other company I researched the claims were cumulative, meaning the plan would be maxed out after only $20,000 or so. You may be lucky and never need that much headroom, so you might be fine, but my car seems to be having stuff fail left and right at age 15. We have a similar policy on our Jaguar, and I bet that policy expires without us every making a claim. Just depends on the car, and how lucky/unlucky you are.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:40 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
Insurance is such a fawking scam. My post is no help but I do feel so hateful towards insurance dealers. They're glad to take your money, then don't want to pay.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55
Originally Posted by nath_h
You may be lucky and never need that much headroom, so you might be fine, but my car seems to be having stuff fail left and right at age 15. We have a similar policy on our Jaguar, and I bet that policy expires without us every making a claim. Just depends on the car, and how lucky/unlucky you are.
Im not lucky either, but its a love hate relationship with these CL600s. Dropped $5K this year just for a "tune up" with coil packs, plugs, etc. thats about the yearly maintenance Im experiencing after 5 years of ownership. 110K on the 2007 odometer.