Mercedes CL550 Steering Feel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL550
Mercedes CL550 Steering Feel

Hello,
This will be hard to explain and to express my steering feeling but i will try to do my best . Please if anyone are experiencing same Steering feel feeling please share .
Mercedes Cl550 is great car to drive on the curve roads by the coast and on the highways but with one downside in my opinion and this is Steering feel being to direct/to fast/to sensitive on +/- aprox 10deg from centre. not sure how to explain this feeling.
I'm not sure what is on it, direct steering or variable ratio steering but I find myself over steering the into corners and difficulty holding a line on long sweeping turns at speed. CL550 steering takes me a while to get used to it. I have few other cars and when I sit in different car I get to use it in few minutes, but in CL550 takes me full day to don't oversteer on long fast curves. it asking constant correction because it is to direct or sensitive on +/- 10deg , I'm pretty sure it should not be that way . Really need to control my steering movement on fast long curves to don't steer to much on each side. When I turn steering wheel it I need to correct it few deg back to keep the curve. Hard to explain. Or it is like feedback is late like half second, than it is already too much turned, than need to correct it.
On sharp curves with lower speed it does great job great because i need to turn the wheel u to 45/50Deg and in that range it is ok.
Needless to say my geometry is perfect, original new tires, car has 75000km on the clock. I believe there is design issue , and if this could be electronic steering, is there any way to adjust ratio/sensitivity or something else ?

Thank you for any feedbacks...
Old 12-15-2022, 03:38 AM

Mercedes CL550
So unfortunate that no one from CL owners has not experienced similar steering feel.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:54 AM

W216
i would check the alignments, specially toe in toe out .
Old 01-05-2023, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by Mototo
So unfortunate that no one from CL owners has not experienced similar steering feel.
the word is fortunate, not unfortunate, right?

just the usual suspects …

wheel alignment
tires

Has car been in accident … the most likely cause of “out of alignment.” … also simply worn joints

Are tires to Mercedes specification? OE size, oe wheel offsets, newish tread, quality brand