CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

My TCO - 2007 CL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 06:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55
My TCO - 2007 CL600

I see many inquiries on the boards asking if they should purchase a CL600/W216 or similar variant and after 6 years of ownership in CA, here are my observations and opinions.

I purchased my '07 CL600 from original owner with 74K and full service records, which being a CA car there were not many prior issues/repairs.
I reviewed this board A LOT before I purchased the car for $23K in 2017, so I was ready for the good and bad.

This week I totaled up all the repairs for 6 years and 44K miles = $19K.
This includes all maintenance (mostly done by a great local shop "Hi Line" in Orange, CA).
This includes 4 x rear tires (2 sets) and 2 fronts - Michelin ZR rated
This includes oil changes, trans fluid change/filter, brake pads, ABC fluid flush, radiator flushes, etc.
This includes the major service at 100K, plugs, boots, coilpacks (pricey)
This includes 2x failed window modules, all new accumulators (3), pulse dampener, 1 x failed ABC line (always keep extra CHF fluid in trunk = saved me and the pump), ignition module, batteries, new rad, hoses, belts, rear wheel bearings, power steering reservoir, coolant reservoir, and a few other smaller items.

Would I do it again? YES!
I am fortunate that have a good job to afford the repairs, but I could not justify buying this same car new at $140K.
Every time I have a new issue, I swear Im going to SELL IT.

Then I start test driving other cars (newer Cadillacs, newer Mercedes, BMWs, even a Maserati) and when I ride in those cars, nothing feels as good as my CL600 (in my opinion).
The power the CL600 puts out, the luxury ride, quiet interior and interior amenities are incredible... even the stock stereo, which I added a BT connector, rocks pretty loud.

Being a CA car, never seeing snow, ice, salt and very little rain certainly avoids some issues and so I would never recommend purchasing from a state that has these types of harsher weather conditions for this car.

Even the paint is still great with 117K on the odo and the seats have "0" wear just a bit stretched as Im 6'4" 250 lbs.

Hope this helps someone in the future and glad this board is here, so as my CL600 has a new issue (and it wont be long before it does) I can educate myself

and continue to keep it on the road.

Last edited by Titan1969; 07-31-2023 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Good post!
Old 08-12-2023, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55
Pay up time...Battery

UPDATE: Trunk battery getting weak, poor starting. Replaced $387. Original was approx 4 years old.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:45 AM

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Titan1969
I see many inquiries on the boards asking if they should purchase a CL600/W216 or similar variant and after 6 years of ownership in CA, here are my observations and opinions.

I purchased my '07 CL600 from original owner with 74K and full service records, which being a CA car there were not many prior issues/repairs.
I reviewed this board A LOT before I purchased the car for $23K in 2017, so I was ready for the good and bad.

This week I totaled up all the repairs for 6 years and 44K miles = $19K.
This includes all maintenance (mostly done by a great local shop "Hi Line" in Orange, CA).
This includes 4 x rear tires (2 sets) and 2 fronts - Michelin ZR rated
This includes oil changes, trans fluid change/filter, brake pads, ABC fluid flush, radiator flushes, etc.
This includes the major service at 100K, plugs, boots, coilpacks (pricey)
This includes 2x failed window modules, all new accumulators (3), pulse dampener, 1 x failed ABC line (always keep extra CHF fluid in trunk = saved me and the pump), ignition module, batteries, new rad, hoses, belts, rear wheel bearings, power steering reservoir, coolant reservoir, and a few other smaller items.

Would I do it again? YES!
I am fortunate that have a good job to afford the repairs, but I could not justify buying this same car new at $140K.
Every time I have a new issue, I swear Im going to SELL IT.

Then I start test driving other cars (newer Cadillacs, newer Mercedes, BMWs, even a Maserati) and when I ride in those cars, nothing feels as good as my CL600 (in my opinion).
The power the CL600 puts out, the luxury ride, quiet interior and interior amenities are incredible... even the stock stereo, which I added a BT connector, rocks pretty loud.

Being a CA car, never seeing snow, ice, salt and very little rain certainly avoids some issues and so I would never recommend purchasing from a state that has these types of harsher weather conditions for this car.

Even the paint is still great with 117K on the odo and the seats have "0" wear just a bit stretched as Im 6'4" 250 lbs.

Hope this helps someone in the future and glad this board is here, so as my CL600 has a new issue (and it wont be long before it does) I can educate myself

and continue to keep it on the road.
You've done really well. For the price of the car plus $19,000, you probably could not have driven an Accord for less money over six years. BTW, I've spent that much in two years getting my CL550 sorted out, after foolishly trusting a seller and buying the car sight unseen. I agree with you about the feeling of owning/driving this model...it has a presence and substance newer cars do not have. My wife's new EQS 580 is amazing, but so is my car in a different way.
The following 2 users liked this post by nath_h:
bng1959 (08-13-2023), Titan1969 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 03:22 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
"Every time I have a new issue, I swear Im going to SELL IT."

I've been saying this for at least the past 5-6 years, and like you once repaired and driven I change my mind.

'08 CL65 with 60,000 miles. Had 30,000 when I got it in 2011.