CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Bore scoring experiences m273

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Class w203, Porsche Cayman 987
Bore scoring experiences m273

Patient before purchase: w216, 2006, with verified mileage of approx. 130k km. WDD2163711A004316

After initial diagnostics on the "home-made" SD - I noticed a saved-in-memory error "power limitation due to coolant temperature too high" which tempted me to take the car for a closer visual inspection of the cylinder surfaces with an endoscopic camera. My hunch that engine overheating might have caused the damage was accurate - all cylinders had noticeable scratches (a single scratch rather than the typical bore scoring with coarse rubbing of the cylinder surface). There was also noticeable recolouring of the alusil layer and traces of oil coming through the rings.

How often do you encounter m273 engines that experience this? Is it common enough that a better choice would be to bet on the AMG CL versions? Or should I use the diagnosis to negotiate a solid price and consider a repair some time down the line? I also have a similar issue in the Cayman I own so the subject is not unfamiliar to me, fortunately bore scoring is not present in my car (2.7 engine which is less susceptible), I monitor it on a regular basis and change the oil every 5k km, but I know that a possible overhaul, ie bushings etc, would cost approx. 10k USD where I live at.