CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Need Advice on Purchasing CL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Need Advice on Purchasing CL55

My lease (2002 BMW M5) is up in April 2006 (but could possibly get out early without penalty next month). I want to replace it with a 2003-2005 CL55 with under 20K miles. I don't care that a new CL body style and AMG engine is on the horizon. I love the current body style and amazing torque output of the 5.5L S/C engine. I would prefer to get a CPO vehicle but would consider purchasing a MB extended warranty (36 month) seperately. Is there anything else I should be aware of as far as preferrable years, options or other things to consider?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
Sounds like a plan, I bought my CL600 after driving a CL on the BMW lot when I went to buy an M5! 03-05 is great, I don't think there is much difference between the years... just a longer warranty. Options that are available are parktronic, distronic, keyless go, electronic trunk closer, TPS tire pressure monitoring system. Tough to find a CL with all these options, the one I use most is keyless go.

You should also consider 600's, there are advantages to each. The 55 has better seats, a slightly firmer suspension (a plus or a minus depending on what you like), louder exhaust with quad tips (again a plus or minus depending on how you look at it), better brakes, and more attractive wheels/body package. It also has the steering wheel shift buttons.

The 600 (which you can get with an AMG body and wheel package) has the twin turbo motor, more wood inside, alacantara headliner, softer leather and more of it, and different suspension tuning. If you like torque, the 600 has gobs more than the 55.

If you decide to modify the engines, for 6K you can get your 600 to 650+ horsepower, it will cost you 15K+ to get CLOSE (not there) on a 55 motor. Mainly because you can just turn up the boost on the turbos. I have driven both cars, both are fast, the 600 is definitely more powerful. Ignore the specs.

My current car is somewhat of a mutt, because its a 600 with Renntech wheels, Eisenmann exhaust (with quad tips), and the 55 brakes. So you can create a car that has the best of both worlds eventually.

I have a 2002 which is an N/A motor, and I have been torn on whether to upgrade to an 03+ 55 or 600. I like most of what is on the 55 better, but the V12 has a better exhaust tone with the Eisenmann exhaust, and it just feels like a better engine to me. A 600 with an ECU upgrade will run high 11's through the 1/4 and have a sub 4 second 0-60. That is insanely fast, You cannot get that with a 55.

Anyway if you are going to buy an extended warranty (which I did), consider the fact that that money can be going towards a newer car that has a longer warranty to begin with.

This is a great time to buy a used CL, certainly the looks of this model look much more classic than the somewhat generic looking 07 (at least by what we have seen in real spy photos).

Good luck!

Last edited by AMG2GO; 09-21-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:53 AM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
TMC M5, I just picked up a Horizon Blue 2003 CL55 with ~30K miles. Traded in a "modified" A6 4.2 ... this is my first Mercedes, and I'll never look back.

I've owned a ton of V8 performance cars, but none has had the effect of the CL55. Since you are getting out of an M5, I would hazard to say that you will like the AMG manual mode speed shift feature and the steering wheel shifting controls. I used to be a 'manual tranny heal and toe elitist', but with the AMG tranny software and steering wheel controls I really don't care about ever having a manual tranny ever again.

I thought a lot about getting a CL600 (year by year, dollar to donuts they price out about the same). However, in the end I wanted the AMG tranny software, a used CL65 is too rich for my blood, and after the CL acquisition I truly don't have much scratch left to be spending on mods. I don't care for the sport setting of the transmissions, I always use manual mode or comfort. You can get tranny chips for the non-AMG CLs, but since you are coming out of an M5 you might want to sample that to see if you like it.

An item to look out for -> should be covered under warranty, but the SC V8's seem to eat both SC and accessory belt pulleys. You can search the forum for details. They make an annoying sound that for me was more of an embarassment than anything else, but it's an easy fix.

Oh, did I mention that I love the car? May sound sick, but I think that if a person can afford $130k for a car the CL55's and 600's are a bargain.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Thanks for the feedback

AMG2GO:

Thanks for the good advice. I have considered the CL600. I am really impressed with the torque and cache' of the V-12 biturbo set-up. However, I prefer the CL55's bigger brakes, exhaust system, seating, 250lbs lighter overall weight, spoilers and wheels. I know that these could be remedied by finding a CL600 with AMG package and adding aftermarket stuff (like you did). I am trying to be very cost conscience. The CL55's I have been seeing online and in conversations with local dealers run from $74K to $85K (2003-2004). I am sure finding a low mileage example of a CL600 and adding the costs to upgrade might push it beyond what I feel comfortable spending. Although, if CL65 prices keep dropping at the current rate, then by next spring I might be justifying one in my driveway.

I think the CL600 would be too luxury focused for me, especially after coming from the M5. The CL55 should be a better transition. I love how both cars look and neither one would be a wrong choice. Although maybe I need to test drive each first.

mclarenm8d:

Did you get your Horizon Blue CL55 from Luxury Motors? Thanks for the tips on the belts. The CL55's tranny software is definitely another positive.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:56 PM

NSX
Well, drive each and see what you think. Both are awesome cars. I like the extra luxury... for me there is enough "sport" in the 600. I just can't get over the engine in the TT600. It just has an extraordinary amount of thrust.

As for the parts, most of these are not terribly expensive and they are BETTER than the stock AMG parts. For example if you do a brake upgrade, you will get floating rotors that exist on the CL65, but not on the CL55. These calipers are 10 pounds lighter EACH than the 55, reducing unsprung weight which is very important. You can get a nice big brake upgrade for as little as $2400.

If you upgrade the wheels, you can go with 19" and lighter wheels, stronger wheels, and make the car a bit more unique. There are a lot of good ones out there. You can sell the stock wheels and you may be looking at a $1000-2000 upgrade.

If you upgrade the exhaust, you will save more weight again, and have an awesome tone with the V12, its about $1400.

So in all, you can do say a 5K upgrade and get some great parts.

In my experience, 600's actually run a bit cheaper than 55's. IF This happens to be the case, its something to consider.

I guess what I am saying is this... the perfect car does not come along that often. Find the color you want, the features you want, the options you want, the milage you want, and if someone is going to make you a deal on a 600, take it. If its a deal on a 55, take that. You will increase your chances of getting a great car and a great deal two-fold if you simply put both cars in your search. I was looking at 55's and 600's at the same time. I just happened to get the best deal on a 600. I could just as well have ended up with a 55. But keep your options open.