CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL65 Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever keys I grab first...
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Looking at this engine and its dyno sheets, its pretty clear that AMG has extracted most of what is safely possible from this motor. There is a much larger margin on the 600 engine, and that's why you get much more power from an ECU upgrade on that car.
Not true, AMG themselves limited the power of this vehicle down to 607, from a possible 700HP with NO modifications; and a cool 880 lbs of torque to compliment that. The only problem was, the car would melt it's own gearbox. So regardless of why they limited the power, you don't have to do much to raise it back to 700, I'm assuming just remove the limiter or something... and after that, you can mess with ECU to get you more power. And beat NASA to the next landing on the moon

I don't know, I drive a SL600... or two of them, so I don't know much about the CL, but I do remember discussing this same issue with a 65 owner.

-John
Old 01-13-2006, 02:20 PM

GL550
I lowered my CL65 with the brabus module and it was more than 10mm so I dont know why they dont you that.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:54 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by Lexani
Not true, AMG themselves limited the power of this vehicle down to 607, from a possible 700HP with NO modifications; and a cool 880 lbs of torque to compliment that. The only problem was, the car would melt it's own gearbox. So regardless of why they limited the power, you don't have to do much to raise it back to 700, I'm assuming just remove the limiter or something... and after that, you can mess with ECU to get you more power. And beat NASA to the next landing on the moon

-John
Lexani, I know several magazines have said that, and that may well have been a quote from someone at AMG, but I can tell you for a fact that this is not a "limiter" issue or an ECU issue. If that was the case, I can guarantee you that Renntech and others would be pulling well over 700 out by now. They are not because the turbos are small. You can see what is happening if you study the dyno sheets and engine temps.

Someone at AMG may have said the engine is easily capable of 700 or more, and that may have been published in C&D and R&T, but he was probably talking about the internals. As the engine is, the limiting factor for any steep jump in power seems to be the turbochargers, not a detuned ECU.