CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Lowered Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CL55AMG
Lowered Suspension

Anyone lowered the suspension on their CL?
What kinda results did you get from handling and tire wear?
I was thinking about it, but not sure of impacts on the ABC, handling and tire wear.
I havce 20" rim so I have a concern, but not sure of the overall effects onthe car

If anyone has done this, please let me know what you've experieinced. Think it would look really sharp, just not sure of the mechanical/technical setup.
THANKS
Old 02-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Almost a Member!

CL65 & ML63
The first thing I do when I purchase an MB is to lower it. I have used the Brabus, Carlsson and Kleemann units. The Kleemann is the best. Completely adjustable within about two minutes. This way you can set it for normal use where the ride remains very compliant and when you want to show off the car you can drop it on the tires. For normal driving my CLS55 and CL65 are down about 1 1/4 ".

If you put the car on the deck and leave it there you can get some uneven tire wear. You should have your alignment done after you find the height you plan on running the car at most of the time. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:48 AM

2001 CL55AMG
lowered

Got it...thanks for the insight.

What makes the Kleemann better than the others?

Does the lowering have any effects on the active body control?

What size wheels do you run? I've got 20" and little concerned it may cause rub..

Thanks again, please know what ya think...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Almost a Member!

CL65 & ML63
The Kleemann unit works and it's fully adjustable. Brabus unit does not lower the car very much. The Carlsson unit works great on my CLS55 and is adjustable, but had a problem with the unit initially. It works fine now. I also had a Carlsson unit on an 04 E55 and I had a couple of issues with it.

With any of the units installed you can still raise the car as you can now, so everything is the same as stock, except for the car being lower.

I have the stock 19's and a set of aftermarket 20" wheels. The 20's are 8 1/2 " in front and 10 1/2" in the rear. Tires are 245x35x20 front and 285x30x20 rear. There is a difference in ride quality. The 20's are stiffer.

If you look through some of the Threads on the Forum you can get more information on this subject.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:05 PM

2001 CL55AMG
Kleemann

Any place you would recommend for ordering a Kleemann kit. Do you recall what yours cost?

Is there much to the installation. Do I need to get this done at the dealer or can a performance shop install with no problem?

Thanks again, appreciate your help!
Robert
Old 02-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Almost a Member!

CL65 & ML63
I purchased my from a dealer in LA. I had them install it. If you work on your cars you could be able to do it. I don't so I had the dealer install the unit. I paid $1,600 plus $150 for the install and $150 for the alignment.

The people at Kleemann USA are great. http://www.kleemannusa.com/
They should be able to direct you to a shop that can install the unit.

I have family in your town. Like it a lot. You should be able to find what you need in town or close by.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:22 PM

2001 CL55AMG
funny

Thanks Ken...I'll check it out..don't work on mine, but have a speed shop that spruced up a Carrera 4S for me and feel they could get it right.

Kinda funny...I have family in your town...what are the chances of that one..

See ya...Thanks for your help!