CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

GT Coupe Comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Question GT Coupe Comparison

Lately I have been addicted to watching old episodes of BBC's Top Gear on youtube.com. Being a die-hard Mercedes fan I have watched all of the related episodes available on youtube, but there are also a lot of other fantastic cars that they have compared as well.

My question to you CL owners is in regards to your competition from over the pond. Have any of you driven in the Aston Martin DB9? Had you considered this car at the time you looked at getting a CL? The w215 and w216 coupes are the most amazing coupes, and classic in their design from day one. But, I have to admit that the DB9 has always been intriguing to me with it's A.M. design and the sound of that v12.

A good epsisode to catch is the race from england to monte carlo where one host in a DB9 races the other two hosts in the rapid trains.

Just curious. I plan to buy one of these cars at some point in my life, but I need to finish college first.

thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
I considered the DB9, Conti GT, CL (W215), M6.

M6 is a very nice and fast car but I'm not a BMW guy. And while its styling is better than the sedans, I still don't think it is distinctive enough considering the cost of admission. Rear seats are tight.

Conti GT was a bit too much the luxo barge for me. Awesome engine but car is just too heavy. The DB9 (also the new XKR) is drop dead gorgeous but has what is basically a useless back seat, and reliability is a major concern. Considering the competition, the DB9 really needs more power to justify its price. Maybe the DBS will take care of that... or a new Vanquish.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2787

The design of the W215 CL was/is a bit dated compared to these, but it did have usable rear seats, and with the 55K or V12TT is also tops in the performance department. And big discounts are available. Ultimately I decided to get the CLS55 because I like the styling, and the rear doors really help with the car seats for my two little girls. And the 55K engine is good for over 600HP with some light though not inexpensive mods.

Six months later, the W216 CL looks amazing to me. The exterior design is awesome, interior is totally updated, and it has all the latest gadgets of the S class. Back seat room will still be far and away best in class. In 3-4 years when I'm ready for a new daily driver, the kids will be older and out of car seats. A CL600 with AMG or other bodykit and ECU upgrade will be high on my list.

The Aston Martin Rapide will out by then too. It is their version of the CLS, basically a four door, stretched DB9. Looks totally awesome I must say... though I wish it had rear suicide doors.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2641

Aston Martins are just gorgeous.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 10-06-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 CL65
I recently drove the Bentley back to back with my CL65, and I was surprised at how underwhelming the big Bent felt. Compared to the ABC equipped CL, the Bentley's more conventional suspension felt soft and wallowy, and depite both cars having 6 liter twin turbo 12s, the Bentley is lacking 250 lb ft of torque compared to the CL, which weighing a half ton more. No comparison.

The DB9 and Vantage cars are absolutely stunning to look at, but neither offers either the performance or luxury of the CL. But if hand built exclusivity is what you want, they do deliver there. Just don't expect class leading acceleration. And forget ventiliated seats, the DB9 doesn't even have an auto dimming rearview mirror.