CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 tire wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 tire wear

About 7 months ago I purchased 4 new Michelin's. The rears are P26540R18 @ $340 each. At 7000 miles it's looks like they're on the way out. I may get 10,000 miles. Is this normal? If so, is there a better, longer lasting tire to buy?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 AM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Originally Posted by Wayne Poe
About 7 months ago I purchased 4 new Michelin's. The rears are P26540R18 @ $340 each. At 7000 miles it's looks like they're on the way out. I may get 10,000 miles. Is this normal? If so, is there a better, longer lasting tire to buy?
What kind of Michelins are they? Of course it depends on your driving style, but for normal driving, that seems a little excessive. Is it uneven wear? In that case, you might need an alignment. Tire pressure can also have an impact. If you are running at pretty high psi, it can make the middle of the tire wear out faster, but on the other hand, protect your rims from potholes and such. I had the Michelin Pilot Sports on a 2001 530i which wasn't driven very much (245/40/17) and I had a blowout on one of the back tires at 6000 miles, and the fronts were completely shot by 10,000. Finally, sometimes depending on where you bought the tires they could have already been "old" tires because they have been sitting around for so long, sometimes sold at discounted prices or discount places which would contribute to their premature wear. Right now, I've just had the cl55 for about 2 months and it has the Nitto 555s, I think thats what they're called, (255/35/20) in front and (285/30/20) in back, which were about half the price of the Michelin Sports, and from research I've done online seem to have fairly good performance and people, for the most part, are happy with them. So far, no complaints from me. But just like any low profile tire, they do not last very long, and I would not expect much more than 15 to 20,000 from them, if that.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks

They are Pilot Sports, and I did get them at Discount Tire (although it didn't seem like much of a discount). The fronts still look good so I'll likely get one more set of rears rather than mix tires. I'll try the Nitto's next round. Where do you recommend getting them to avoid "old" tires?

BTW, what is a green filter?

Wayne
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 PM

2003 cl55 (sold)
They are Pilot Sports, and I did get them at Discount Tire (although it didn't seem like much of a discount). The fronts still look good so I'll likely get one more set of rears rather than mix tires. I'll try the Nitto's next round. Where do you recommend getting them to avoid "old" tires?

BTW, what is a green filter?

Wayne
Actually, I think Discount Tire is fairly good about not having "old" tires (but definitely not a discount, you're right). But then again it depends on the shop, demand for the tires, etc. The discount place I was talking about is if you bought tires from Costco Tires. Although sometimes cheap, comparatively, they often carry "old" tires that have been sitting around for some time, and I have had bad experiences with several sets of their tires. The Green Air Filter is a high flow air filter that replaces the stock air filters, similar to a K&N, however they use a fabric like material to trap the dirt particles. But recently, many people (several people with AMGs on this forum) who bought the first type of these found that they melted in the air box! I found this out after I had purchased them, so I contacted the Green Filter people, and they told me they have since taken care of the problem and now use a new type of molding, and since I just bought mine, they should not suffer the same fate.... We'll see.... but if you want more info, here is the link http://www.greenfilterusa.com/.

Jordan

Last edited by jicl55; 01-24-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
The problem is not the tires ... but you knew that.

My experience with the CL55:
Bridgestone Re050 - 8,000 miles
Install ASP pulley
Michelin PS2's -4,800 miles
Goodyear GS-D3's - 3,800 miles

The Goodyear's have a higher treadwear rating than the Michelin's.

I never spin the tires from a stand but I have a place where I go from 10 to 140 at least 3x per week.

Torque is addictive, you get to like being pushed back into your seat whenever you step on the gas.

I put the GS-D3's back on because they gave them to me for 1/2 price but I see Bridgestone's in my future again.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by jicl55
If you are running at pretty high psi, it can make the middle of the tire wear out faster, but on the other hand, protect your rims from potholes and such. .

I'm assuming we are talking about staggered width wheels/tires where tire rotation is not possible. I'm getting over 25K miles on a set of tires. Since we don't have the luxury of rotating our tires/wheels, I rotate the tire pressure about every 5000 miles. What I mean by this is, I go from 33 psi (the recommended pressure) in all 4 tires for about 5000 miles which usually results in the outer part of the tread to wear more, then I raise it to 40 psi for about 5000 miles so that the center part of the tread can catch up. This also temporarily slows the wear of the outer part of the tread for a while. This allows me to get an even wear over the life of the tire. At 20K miles, I still have 30% tread left!
If you stay at the same pressure all the time, you usually get cupping and shuddering.
If you start noticing shuddering, most likely you have cupping beginning and raising the pressure to 40 psi (cold) will eliminate that problem to some degree. Then later bring them back down to 33 or so.

Seems to work for me. I've been doing this for years. The only problem is that the ride is rougher at 40 psi but it's not that bad to me. It handles better at 40 psi.