CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Anyone here go from CLS to CL ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:17 AM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Anyone here go from CLS to CL ?

I finally got to check out a W216 CL (a black CL550 with full Lorinser body kit, 21" HRE wheels, and Renntech lowering module) at length at the dealer while waiting to pick up my car after routine service. I absolutely loved it, totally gorgeous vehicle. I give the M-B design team an A+ for their work over the past few years. Before the CLS, I was never much into M-B.

The rear doors of the CLS are important to meat this point in time, since both of my girls are still in car seats. Two more years and they won't be needed any more, and that may be the time to move to a CL...

Has anyone migrated from the CLS to the CL ? Being larger and heavier I was curious how the ride and handling compare. I definitely would not mind a bit softer ride compared to my lowered CLS55 with 20" wheels! The interior is way better than the CLS, very clean and high quality materials everywhere. And the back seat seems to have more room even if it is missing two doors.

Coming from the CLS55 with Renntech Package 5, I would either opt for a CL600 or CL65 as I crave massive torque under 6k rpm more so than huge high revving horsepower. I don't go to the track and have to be selective about where I can drive fast, as there are cops in unmarked cars and Big Brother camera everywhere around here.

I'd almost certainly be looking for a low mileage used car to avoid the massive first year depreciation, probably within two years these should be fairly easy to come by. Money saved over new could go towards ECU upgrade, wheels, and maybe a body kit.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by RennTech55K
I finally got to check out a W216 CL ...
I crave massive torque under 6k rpm more so than huge high revving horsepower. ...
have to be selective about where I can drive fast, as there are cops in unmarked cars and Big Brother camera everywhere around here.
I share your outlook entirely.

Dump the 20's and give your CLS a new lease on life until you change cars.
The CL is a flagship car so it will have the finest of appointments offered by MB.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 SL 65 AMG 2017 GLE 63S 2015 RAM RT
My wife and I have both CLS55 and CL63. Each car has its own characteristics but at this time the CL is my choice to drive. Although, the CLS 55 still gets a lot of looks. Probably will keep both for a long time.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLS450, 2021 Porsche 911 Cab
Was driving a CLS55 prior to the CL63. I feel the rear seat on the CL is smaller compared to the CLS. Had way more rattles on the cls.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:56 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Have never driven CLS, but have test-driven E63....IMO, E has fairly weak chassis balance in twisties vs CL63 030....perhaps the archaic, analog Airmatic is not well-suited vs increasingly "digital" chassis set-ups.....

Agree...ergonomics/elegance of interior of CL easily beats anything on planet today (incl any other MB models)....65 somewhat better than 63 (though the quilted crap of 65 makes me wonder if plasticky leather of 63 dash/doors is so bad)...and CL550 is notably weaker (no Alcantara headliner, more plasticky leather, etc)....

600 has great interior and tq but that body kit is optically nasty, perhaps best appreciated by someone >75yo...and brakes/chassis are arguably inadequate vs motor (esp in twisties)....and those laughable brake calipers require an expert to be differentiated from those of a C300....

If heavily a straight-line driver, it's a no-brainer to get a 65 (or rather whatever new AMG V12 may appear in next few mths)....tq is addictive....63 tq is merely adequate on a fast-flowing, moderate-traffic urban fwy....

If enjoy twisties driving, it's a no-brainer to get CL63 030.....?250lbs less wt over nose w/sharper steering and better chassis balance; more playful/charismatic exhaust note....and rumors are that MCT will make its way to CL63 shortly.....65 is a tech dinosaur....also, know far too many lemon buy-back 65s vs few copies sold (all for motor-specific issues).....my sense is 63 is a fairly robust motor...advantages of "clean sheet of paper" new-tech engineering; larger-scale production; and ability (and financial priority for MB/AMG) to quickly debug issues w/larger scale and US' consumer-friendly lemon laws...
Old 04-13-2008, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by WSH

600 has great interior and tq but that body kit is optically nasty, perhaps best appreciated by someone >75yo...and brakes/chassis are arguably inadequate vs motor (esp in twisties)....and those laughable brake calipers require an expert to be differentiated from those of a C300....
Ouch ,
I'm only(?) 49 and optically CL600 is just perfect body to me.
Although after back to back test drive 63 vs 600, I highly agree about the brakes inadequatecy vs motor issue.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Originally Posted by markopolo
Ouch ,
I'm only(?) 49 and optically CL600 is just perfect body to me.
Although after back to back test drive 63 vs 600, I highly agree about the brakes inadequatecy vs motor issue.
Markopolo, no worries.....each of the various CL SKUs has its own mockable issues.....63's weak tq and plastic leather; 600's issues (as I've already summarized); and 65's dubious reliability; clunky wheels; codgerly quilted leather; heavy nose, etc etc.....

Would prefer that MB/AMG would simplify stuff and perhaps increase their profitability by offering at least optional proper leather/wheels/steering wheels, etc on models w/tq and chassis that perf-oriented buyers actually want.....common-sense marketing, no?

Perhaps these supposedly soon-to-be-launched AMG Perf Studios at major US dealers will allow jaded, well-informed buyers to spec cars they prefer, as opposed to nonsense w/which MB/AMG comes up, as they struggle w/thinning profit margins due to FX and inability to raise base MSRP meaningfully in the US mkt.....