CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

My Cl55 Story (expensive)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
My Cl55 Story (expensive)

So, I picked up my 2003 Cl55 back in December with 34k miles from a shady *** dealership that I won't mention (its in El Cajon, starts with Truck and ends in Superstore)..... should have told me something right there, huh? Got the car supposedly "checked out" by AJ USA, whom I used to really like, until they obviously didn't do a very thorough pre-purchase check and neglected to tell me about certain issues with the car. Thought I found a decent deal and I got it for $40k in San Diego, bought aftermarket (no good) warranty $2400 5 years 70k miles. Could have picked up a E55 for a bit more with less miles and factory warranty, but decided not to and I really luv the Cl55 look.

My Cl55 came with 20" Lorsinser RS6s and a magnaflow exhaust (the diameter of the exhaust pipes was dropped to 2.75 by whoever did the install, not sure why though? more torque for the bigger rims perhaps?) Here are all the repairs and upgrades I've done:
(1) SRS airbag light came on. Something with the seats and sensors, only thing warranty covered: $600.
(2) 2 Lorinser Rims were cracked, another one had the chrome coming off. Didn't know, got a flat,
(3) had to buy a couple new tires: $180 a piece, $360 total.
(4) Fixed one cracked rim, to find out it is bent and still no good: $110.
(5) Bought new Lorinser rims same type: $2400.
(6) Tire changes and mount and balances because of the rims: $130.
(7) Upgraded pulley/powerchip: $2400 (luv Vadim and VRP!).
(8) Green air filters: $100.
(9) Center console piece was missing, (10) bottom of seat sliders were messed up, (11) missing V8 kompressor logo on one side, (12)passenger seat compartment missing closure: don't even remember, but probably around $500.
(13) Accessory belt was cut and almost broken: $30.
(14) Pixel display went out on the climate control: $600 installed (got a deal, otherwise would have been much, much more).
(15) ABC pump went out: $3000.
(16) Camber/Caster kit for bigger rims with alignment: $400.
(17) Detail and teflon coated paint: $400. And a couple of days ago.... yep, one more,
(18) Command system screen went crazy (still works, can see nav on instrument cluster, CD, etc. but main display is out). Now, it prompted me to go $7500 for an alpine touch screen/nav/backup camera with all new alpine speakers and amps and Jl audio subs in the back from LJ Audio. I'm going all out, why the hell not? Wanted it anyway, but not right now.

Bottom line, I luv the car, but its been (and still is) damn expensive. Granted, I've been unlucky and obviously got a somewhat lemonish AMG. But, with all the money I've spent, wish I would have gone with a Cl55 with a factory warranty.

Saw the first C63 at MB of San Diego yesterday and was damn near going to trade mine in (some wife didn't want it, and some guy bought it for his 16 year old son right before I started getting serious) just because of the issues, but I can't do that. I luv my car. Luv the style, the sound, the feel, the luxury and I enjoy driving it and if I have to put it back together one piece at a time, I'll do it...... until something in the engine craps out..... knock on desk Hmmmmmmm. Do me a favor, don't add all those numbers up and tell me. Thnx.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2,3,4,5,6,7 are items that will happen to any car. It may have happened before you bought the car, it may have happened right after you bought it. It's hard to tell. Most dealers won't notice a leak in the wheel.

17 was a waste of money

15 is going to be a problem with any ABC car

I always recommend people buy a MB with the factory warranty.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
That stinks jic but hopefully you got all the gremlins.

What warranty? Others can learn from your misfortune.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
jicl55:

Which aftermarket warranty company was it?

Tom
Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 PM

2003 S600 ; 1999 E55 (sold)
I agree with above, other than pixels and abc pump all that stuff is standard when buying a used car. Esp w/a MB, plan on spending $4-$5K on various wheels, fixes, plastic pieces missing, service A or B items not done, etc...if you are saving $50K off the price when new whats $5K to get it up to speed. I definitely have had to shell out ~3K when buying used...and with the amg's you know they have been ragged out hard and then sold. Lots of men much richer than me that dont care about taking $30-50/yr in depreciation thats for sure!

The abc sux since it wasnt covered...but definitely a common item to bust...hopefully its all clear now and you can enjoy the car!

Just my $0.02 but $3000 wheels is hella steep...when you can get amg wheels <$1000 on ebay all day long...anything >18"s also slow down the car, add unsprung weight, cause worse ride, create alignment/rubbing issues with lowering etc...just not have 'gotten' the urge to upgrade the exterior of the car, prefer it looking bone stock on outside, just mods to make it go faster. Personal preference tho! Tx for sharing...
Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Navigation Screen

Can I please see a picture of the Alpine Navigation Screen install. Thanks.

Larry
Old 04-24-2008, 04:35 AM

2003 cl55 (sold)
The Warranty company is Buyer's Choice through Royal Administration Services Inc. I have the "best" one they offered, which supposedly covered "everything", the "factory plus coverage". I should have just saved my money. If I can recommend anything to anyone either get a car specific warranty for the Cl or, of course, mercedes factory is the best. Live and learn.... not that I didn't know that, but I didn't think that it would be THIS bad.

As far as expecting to spend money to get the car up and running, I knew that, but I didn't think it would be this much this soon. ABC pump, really? Then the Nav screen? I knew ahead of time that these cars are notorious for having electrical issues, etc. but the SRS airbag malfunction, ABC pump and Nav screen should not all be going out on a car with 39k miles, I'm sorry. And, of couse, since I thought I had a "decent" warranty, I wasn't all that concerned. The one thing I do have a problem with is a car dealership selling cracked or bent rims. The only thing in contact with the road are the tires (which were new, so they had to know the rim issue) and the rims. Then, having the car pre-buy inspected one would think that they would check things like that. Then, discount tire remounting my "fixed" rim without telling me or maybe not even knowing its bent, kind of scary.

As far as the rims are concerned, I've gone through enough rims to know a few things. Yes, $3k is a lot for rims, I'll be the first to admitt, but getting one of those $1k rims on ebay is not the answer. You get what you pay for and many of those rims (not all, but many) are poorer quality, not made as well, and will bust on the first decent pothole you hit. I know, I've bought those ebay cheapy rims before and thats exactly what happened. Granted, you could buy three sets for my one, but I really don't want to be spending all the time and effort getting a new set of rims every couple of months. The Lorinsers are name brand and known for being one of the more decent rims manufacturers. And for an exterior upgrade, nothing will set a Cl off more than a really good looking set of rims.

And I will definitely post pics of the alpine head unit when I get it back. I am really, really exited and can't wait to get it back. I am putting a pic of an install they did on a 2003 cl500 with the previous alpine head unit, the w205 that they showed me. Going with the alpine w505 and the blackbird nav (which is also portable, which is cool. It has a bay where you stick the unit in and it shows up on the alpine head unit... also has bluetooth through the speakers and ipod cable where ipod will be mounted in the armrest), focal front speakers, alpines in the rear, 2 alpine amps, 2 Jl audio W03s in an enclosure in the trunk, rear back up cam and am getting my valentine wired up so I don't have a cord hanging off of it to the cig lighter. Friday..... or early Saturday, its coming home (again).