CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Sound and Fury

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM
ieb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Sound and Fury

The recent thread about the CL 65 and engine sound got me thinking about how important the exhaust sound is.

For instance, I have (wife) a 997 C2S/Cab/Sport Exhaust because of the really nice sound. We passed on a 997 Turbo because of the wimpy sound. The difference in performance was not important. If you go to any of the Porsche boards like the Renntech 911 Turbo, you’ll see that the number one topic after showing off the degree of owners personalization is the weak engine sound and how to get an after market fix. Interestingly, Porsche owners mostly consider their rides like the other German cars as very conservative as opposed to the Italians.

I had a CL550 that had absolutely NO SOUND. I added a Brabus sport exhaust that took care of the problem very nicely. The sound ended up very close to the 63 version. What caused me to trade to the CL 63 was the 030 wheels that were originally pointed out by Barolo. By the way where is he?

The sound of the CL 63 after 8000 miles has gotten even better. I talked to Renntech engineers and my dealer and they think that I blew out a baffle in the muffler. It really is impressive.

To me the most important feature a sport/exotic car is the beautiful other worldly style that the best of the breed exhibit. After that build quality (including engine), and exhaust sound are equally tied. Performance differences between these cars are meaningless.

So, I would like to hear from others about what they think. Would you buy or not buy a car based on how it sounded?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Sounds like it has 700 horespower !

Originally Posted by ieb
The recent thread about the CL 65 and engine sound got me thinking about how important the exhaust sound is.

For instance, I have (wife) a 997 C2S/Cab/Sport Exhaust because of the really nice sound. We passed on a 997 Turbo because of the wimpy sound. The difference in performance was not important. If you go to any of the Porsche boards like the Renntech 911 Turbo, you’ll see that the number one topic after showing off the degree of owners personalization is the weak engine sound and how to get an after market fix. Interestingly, Porsche owners mostly consider their rides like the other German cars as very conservative as opposed to the Italians.

I had a CL550 that had absolutely NO SOUND. I added a Brabus sport exhaust that took care of the problem very nicely. The sound ended up very close to the 63 version. What caused me to trade to the CL 63 was the 030 wheels that were originally pointed out by Barolo. By the way where is he?

The sound of the CL 63 after 8000 miles has gotten even better. I talked to Renntech engineers and my dealer and they think that I blew out a baffle in the muffler. It really is impressive.

To me the most important feature a sport/exotic car is the beautiful other worldly style that the best of the breed exhibit. After that build quality (including engine), and exhaust sound are equally tied. Performance differences between these cars are meaningless.

So, I would like to hear from others about what they think. Would you buy or not buy a car based on how it sounded?
As a participant in the MBWorld "Great Exhaust Sound Debate", I can categorically tell you that for me, the exhaust sound of my CL63 is better than I had ever expected it to be. Actually, an early Spring 2007 CL63 review commented that the car was too quiet, almost making me rethink the purchase. Obviously, we all know by now, that the 63 is a gutteral, sometimes raucus large bore stock car sounding V8. Either you like it or you don't - there seems to be very little middle ground. The V12 is admitedly faster, but for my daily driving, the V8-63 sounds faster and for me that's what brings a smile to my face. What I find to be very interesting is that the 63 seems to be much louder to those outside the car as opposed to myself and passengers. My wife actually hears me before I hit the driveway, as I drive down the street. If I get back to my prior drives of S-Classes though, I may have to rethink about the 63 engine sound for a car that looks like a limo. Loud 2 door cars are one thing but 4 door sedans are not totally appropriate - but then again, opinions are meant to be changed.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Yes, I didn't want to say it but my wife says she can hear me 1/4 mime down the street. From ouside the car very destinctive and beautiful sound.

I read one review that said above 6K it's the sound of shredding 100 dollar bills!

Totally worth the price of admission.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:20 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Indeed, sound is a huge part of driving enjoyment for me, and exhaust note (like steering precision/brake pedal feel) can be legally enjoyed at many different speeds....

But louder isn't necessarily better; IMO, it's an art form to engineer a car to have a sound that's at once intimidating but elegant....

Am enough of a sound junkie that I rarely drive w/any iPod playing (or other noise/music), but always have windows/roof closed to best appreciate a "filtered" exhaust note w/o wind/road noise....
Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM

2004 CL55
Had a g35 coupe - - sound is distinct on that engine, particularly in the G35 coupe. Sound was/is very important to me as it is to the starter of this thread. From my office I still hear a G35 zip by every so often. On my CL55, I wanted just a bit more sound. I switched out the air filters for K&N but cannot tell the difference. On my old G, I removed the intake resonators, which essentially seemed to turn the volume up on the exhaust a bit without changing the personality of the sound. I would like something similar to that on the CL.