CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Flat Battery! Is it a known issue!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL500 AMG
Flat Battery! Is it a known issue!

Hi All,

My CL500 AMG battery went flat last week. Nothing would work. I could not even open the door with the key. Called the AA and they jump started the car. The guy checked the battery and said that it was a healthy battery. We assumed that the battery may have drained because I may have left the lights on Auto. I am not even sure if I did leave the lights on Auto. I assumed that if I switched the car off the lights would go off anyway.

Secondly, the battery went yesterday. This time I definitely know I did not leave the lights on Auto. It is a healthy battery and something is clearly draining it. I did a Google, and came across other CL500/CL600 owners having the same problem. Does anyone know if this is a known issue! Some of the info online is saying it is PSE Pump? What is a PSE Pump? Others are saying other things.

I started the car this morning fine. I get the feeling that if I don't drive for two consecutive days then the battery goes flat. I will test this out by not driving it for the next two days.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
There are a couple of things that you have left out of your post that might be helpful.

What year is your car?

Is it still under any sort of factory warranty?

Personal experience. I only drive my 2004 CL55 occasionally and have found that there have been two incidents when the battery gave me problems similar to what you describe. It had nothing to do with leaving the lights on automatic, but more to do with not driving the car enough on a regular basis to keep the battery fully charged, along with battery age, and a change in the outside air to colder temperatures.

All of these items added up to a situation where the battery did not have enough reserve electrical power to actuate all of the items needed to normally access the vehicle.

The solution? Just called M-B and within a few minutes a roadside service technician was at my house. The battery was replaced quickly and efficiently and I was back on my way again. There was no charge for the service or the battery, either time.

Since that time, I tend to make sure that I put a few miles on the car on a more consistent basis, and have not have any other problems.

Great, efficient service. Very impressive.

JDB
Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Mercedes CL500 AMG
Thanks for your reply. It's CL500 AMG Coupe 2001 model. It's got every optional extra. Secondly, it has no manufacturers warranty on it. This is my first Merc, I have had BMW M3's before. I don't know if Mercedes would do extended warranties for car that's gone out of warranty.