CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Question to MY2005/2006 CL-Owners...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Question Question to MY2005/2006 CL-Owners...

Hi folks,

I'm still not 100% sure which 65-AMG I should get by the end of next year (either 2006 S65 or 2005/6 CL65), so I wanted to ask a few questions about the CL:

- In case I find the matching car, which options can be dealer-installed? I'm thinking about the phone and Sirius. Is the CL pre-wired for these two options?

- If the dealer can install Sirius, is it possible to have the painted smaller "knob" installed on the trunk or do they have to go with the bulky black one? Or is it possible that it is invisible? I've seen some CLs on Autotrader that have Sirius but no "knob" at all..

- Are there also illuminated AMG (not MB) door-sills available for this car as accessory?

- I also read that the CL comes with Tire-Pressure Monitor. Does it show the current pressure (Display) or does it simply notify you if there is insufficient pressure in one of the tires?

- Are the seats on the CL65 "active" as well (i.e. if you take a curve quite fast)? I do know that the CL comes with massaging seats.

- How would you compare the handling of the CL65 to the one of the S65? Since I'm a young(er) single, I do not carry more than one passenger on a regular basis, so I would actually prefer the CL based on its appearance.

- Optional are: Parktronic, Distronic, Phone, SIRIUS and on the 05, Keyless Go. Is that it or did I forget something (excluding designo)?

- Finally, are there any differences between the MY05 and 06 besides the fact that the 06 comes standard with the previously optional Keyless Go?

Sorry for all those questions - but thanks in advance!

Last edited by FloridaE55; 12-16-2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
Hi folks,

I'm still not 100% sure which 65-AMG I should get by the end of next year (either 2006 S65 or 2005/6 CL65), so I wanted to ask a few questions about the CL:

- In case I find the matching car, which options can be dealer-installed? I'm thinking about the phone and Sirius. Is the CL pre-wired for these two options?

- If the dealer can install Sirius, is it possible to have the painted smaller "knob" installed on the trunk or do they have to go with the bulky black one? Or is it possible that it is invisible? I've seen some CLs on Autotrader that have Sirius but no "knob" at all..

- Are there also illuminated AMG (not MB) door-sills available for this car as accessory?

- I also read that the CL comes with Tire-Pressure Monitor. Does it show the current pressure (Display) or does it simply notify you if there is insufficient pressure in one of the tires?

- Are the seats on the CL65 "active" as well (i.e. if you take a curve quite fast)? I do know that the CL comes with massaging seats.

- How would you compare the handling of the CL65 to the one of the S65? Since I'm a young(er) single, I do not carry more than one passenger on a regular basis, so I would actually prefer the CL based on its appearance.

- Optional are: Parktronic, Distronic, Phone, SIRIUS and on the 05, Keyless Go. Is that it or did I forget something (excluding designo)?

- Finally, are there any differences between the MY05 and 06 besides the fact that the 06 comes standard with the previously optional Keyless Go?

Sorry for all those questions - but thanks in advance!
I believe the hands free craddle was an option. Mine had it...but I upgraded to bluetooth which you just switch out with the craddle (about $500).

I am not sure about the Sirius or the door sills (which I think are dealer installed options).

The TPMS gives you the pressure in each wheel when you scroll through the computer menu.

i originally didn't think the seats were active but every once in awhile I will feel the seat bolster automatically pinch down...so I am pretty sure they are.

The CL65 is a big car...but the S65 is even bigger. The CL65 will never be a sports car ...too much weight (4,650lbs)....but the S65 is even further away (nearly 4,900lbs). The S65 should inherently have a a more comfy ride (longer wheelbase). The CL65 is also 2 inches lower in height...providing a lower center of gravity for "better" handling. If you don't need the additional size you are better off with the CL65.

I believe you are correct as far as options. Keyless Go as standard equipment is the only difference for 2006. I would think that 2006 would be more desirable for two reasons...warranty in-service date will be later and there were less 2006 models produced than in 2005. According to AMG Private Lounge, there were 142 CL65's imported to the US for MY2005 and only 52 for MY2006.

I think there is another difference in the CL65's favor (at least in my opinion)...the interior. I don't like the shape of the S65's seats...the single piece of wood that spans practically the whole dash and the center console that does not look integrated between the bottom piece and the center stack. Obviously these are subjective and maybe others will feel the opposite way. I just think the CL's interior is much cleaner looking.

Either way you can't lose between two beautiful and incredible cars. Good luck!!!

Tom
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Thank You very much for your response, TMC M5!

I agree that the interior of the CL looks a bit better than the one of the S.

Great to know that the CL shows the pressure of the wheels - my 06 M5 didn't and the system that "warned" based on the tire-revs was everything but accurate.

Also good to know that Bluetooth can be installed into the phone-cradle!

The import-numbers also explain the difference in cars currently available. Most of them are MY05s and only a few are 06s. I will focus on MY06 and you can be sure that a warranty will be a part of the deal.

Thanks again!