CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ABC (car lowering)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
ABC (car lowering)

My car use to sink in the front right after sitting for a while. After the car sunk I turned the engine on and I pressed the button to raise the car and then I turned the car off. It's been 4 days and the car has not sunk. I tried it on 2 different occasions so far it has worked. Can you guys test it out on your cars and tell if you guys experience the same thing? Anybody know why this is happening?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Bo CL500
My car use to sink in the front right after sitting for a while. After the car sunk I turned the engine on and I pressed the button to raise the car and then I turned the car off. It's been 4 days and the car has not sunk. I tried it on 2 different occasions so far it has worked. Can you guys test it out on your cars and tell if you guys experience the same thing? Anybody know why this is happening?
My 600 was doing this, check you have enough fluid in your ABC resevoir.
Mine was leaking so I carried on topping it up, but I had a good warning to get it fixed by a member which I ignored. I have now had the leak fixed
$2000 but have now been told because the system wasn;t pressurised
properly I now need a new pump as it is making a noise. Get it looked at now
before it becomes exxpensive.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:52 PM

2003 Mercedes cl500
My cl does this everytime I leave it for a few weeks but when the car is started it raises itself and the problem usually never reared it's head again, although in september i had to get a new abc pump installed when it completely failed and the car had to be trailered away...
Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 PM

2009 Volkswagen Routan
You seriously need to get that checked - more than likely it's nothing, but if it is electrical it could drop the right side of the car at speed.

"Unsettling" does not even BEGIN to cover it!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Originally Posted by jonesie
My cl does this everytime I leave it for a few weeks but when the car is started it raises itself and the problem usually never reared it's head again, although in september i had to get a new abc pump installed when it completely failed and the car had to be trailered away...
The MB STAR SERVICE Manual Service Library states that it is not unusual for the car to sink if sitting for more than a week.

If a vehicle lowers after sitting stationary for more than approximately a week, this is a characteristic of the hydraulic design and is not a complaint that requires repair. The Check Valves in teh front and rear axle blocks have a metal valve seat. The inherent design of this sealing method, required for system durability, permits a limited level of leakage which can result in the vehicle slowly lowering. If the vehicle does not lower significantly until after approximately one week has passed, do not perform any repair attempts.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Smile Buy a MB STAR SERVICE Service Manual Library DVD

Originally Posted by sound 8
My 600 was doing this, check you have enough fluid in your ABC resevoir.
Mine was leaking so I carried on topping it up, but I had a good warning to get it fixed by a member which I ignored. I have now had the leak fixed
$2000 but have now been told because the system wasn;t pressurised
properly I now need a new pump as it is making a noise. Get it looked at now
before it becomes exxpensive.
What kind of noise? Hum or drone? If this is the case....

MB STAR SERVICE Manual Library DVD states....

The ABC Pulsation Damper/Accumulator can correct a 'hum' or 'drone' sound. If a 'hum' or 'drone' sound up to 2000 rpm is heard, but gets drowned out by the sound of the engine above 2000 rpm, it could be as simple as the hydraulic lines contacting the body of the car. Have the lines inspected and if they clear the body, then replace the Accumulator.

The manual also specifically states that replacing the ABC pump will NOT correct the 'drone' sound problem.

The Pulsation Damper/Accumulator part is less than $200 CDN.

Also....
The ABC system can be pressurised manually by raising and lowering the ABC suspension switch at least 3 times if replacing the tandem pump.

If replacing suspension valves or struts, raise and lower at least 10 times to pressurise according to MB STAR SERVICE Manual Library.

Buy the MB STAR SERVICE Library DVD from the dealer and empower yourself, before making haste and wasting money needlessly.

Good Luck.