CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Bi-turbo Wastegate Adjustment!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
S600 Bi-Turbo/E39 M5
Bi-turbo Wastegate Adjustment!!!

On my 600, (and I'm sure the 65's have them too), there's a wastegate adjustment rod!! I got excited when I saw this while changing the oil. Has anyone tried adjusting this rod for more boost? I know the ECU upgrades revamp timing/fuel/boost/and a bunch of other parameters, I'm sure. I cant help but wonder if it would run right, and make considerably more HP by just adjusting these rods. AND RUN RIGHT??

I am really tempted to stick a wideband in the exhaust and figure out how to hose up a boost gauge under the hood. Then take the car for a stock run and record it's data. (Does anyone know what boost these cars run stock and what the stock air/fuel mixture is?) Then mark the stock settings on the wastegate rods somehow. Then CRANK each rod on the wastegates exactly the same. I'd probobly need 2 boost readings, one for each turbo obviously to make sure they're equal.

Has anyone ever tried this?

John
Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
14lbs stock
Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by bp95gsx
On my 600, (and I'm sure the 65's have them too), there's a wastegate adjustment rod!! I got excited when I saw this while changing the oil. Has anyone tried adjusting this rod for more boost? I know the ECU upgrades revamp timing/fuel/boost/and a bunch of other parameters, I'm sure. I cant help but wonder if it would run right, and make considerably more HP by just adjusting these rods. AND RUN RIGHT??

I am really tempted to stick a wideband in the exhaust and figure out how to hose up a boost gauge under the hood. Then take the car for a stock run and record it's data. (Does anyone know what boost these cars run stock and what the stock air/fuel mixture is?) Then mark the stock settings on the wastegate rods somehow. Then CRANK each rod on the wastegates exactly the same. I'd probobly need 2 boost readings, one for each turbo obviously to make sure they're equal.

Has anyone ever tried this?

John
The ECU will pull the boost back to where the programed setting is at. The ECU will think you are in denser air and compensate by opening up the wastegate thus lowering boost. Once your ECU is programmed for higher boost you might be able to squeeze an extra pound or two out of it, but then you will hit boost cut. Remember that the turbo is way out of its efficiency range at 20-21 psi and is only going to make hotter air the higher the boost goes.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
The ECU will pull the boost back to where the programed setting is at. The ECU will think you are in denser air and compensate by opening up the wastegate thus lowering boost. Once your ECU is programmed for higher boost you might be able to squeeze an extra pound or two out of it, but then you will hit boost cut. Remember that the turbo is way out of its efficiency range at 20-21 psi and is only going to make hotter air the higher the boost goes.
Correct! Without software to work with the extra boost, the ECU will just open the wastegate and blow the extra air off.

I get guys with 55 cars who have bought a pulley, without working with the software, and they can't understand why it isn't more powerful. It is the same situation. Once we work the software... it comes alive.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
S600 Bi-Turbo/E39 M5
Got it guys! Thanks so much, for busting my bubble! haha. I thought I was on to something. doh!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 s600
I do have to readjust my right wastegate rod, the nut on the end of the rod fell off. I just looked at how many threads were visible after nut on left rod and tightened a new nut onto right rod to same number of threads(5 i think). It wouldnt go anymore anyway, when car is off, i think wastegates are fully closed, right. wastegate lever was facing straight down to ground.