CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Thoughts on a new CL65...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Hey guys what is a super car? Is their an official definition? I'm not trying to get in this fight, I look at my present ride as a classy ride that can be somewhat entertaining to drive but also not seen often where I live. I've only seen one other in the 4 months I've owned it which I think is SUPER
It's a car that makes you feel SUPER.
But heh, all this arguing about what's a sports car or a super car.
I can't think of any other car other than a MB if I was setting out on
a 300 mile journey that had straights,bends and speed limits. Get my drift!
Sound 8, budding MB World Fanatic.
And I mean any MB.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
I feel SUPER about myself.
Am I ....er....SUPERMAN?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by markopolo
I feel SUPER about myself.
Am I ....er....SUPERMAN?
I think that is the first step.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

CL65
MarkoCL65
Old 04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
No one who matters can agree on what defines a "sports car" or "super car"; only definition that matters is that of a guy who can write the check for whatever car

Reality is, on a public road (anywhere incl Germany) most repeat owners prefer to leave ample margin for error (and minimize risk to one's own health)....so silly, pseudo-precise criteria like weight or NBR times or 0-xxx times mean little

Know many rather wealthy car nuts in CA; almost none ever visit a track; why would a busy guy want to pre-schedule a visit to a track in Podunk somewhere (nowhere near a competent hospital if disaster strikes) when one can spontaneously decide to go for a drive some early wkend AM in twisties of Malibu cyns or Woodside mtns (<20 mins from one's house)? And many cars that can deliver impressive NBR times w/a pro driver fail miserably in mtn twisties, which provide a largely different set of rewards and risks for any driver, no matter how supposedly adept

I know lots of guys who own latest new 63 030/65s and Scuds/599s (and refresh their fleet every 6 mos)....more often run across new AMG CL/SL, not F/P, in my wkend mtn twisties drives....
Old 04-19-2009, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I really do need to explain things to you...probably in greater detail than I already do...my car is a 2005 CL65 which weighs approximately 4,650lbs. It is HUGE. I enjoy my car for what it is...it is a luxurious, high performance GT (Grand Touring, Gran Turismo, or whatever else you want to call it). A CL65 is not a sports car (yes...I did have to explain that to you). Thus, I am not bothered so much by its weight, because it is not designed to be a sports car nor is it mis-used as such.

When I think of sports cars, I think of auto-crossing and road courses. The CL65 has no place in those types of activities. I used to be a PCA member (Porsche Club of America) and went to a number of auto-crossing events with my brother. I highly doubt your SL63 (with adequate driver) could get around an auto-cross course quicker than a well driven Boxster S or even a Mini Cooper S. Your sports car delusions of grandeur would quickly crumble under the weight of your car (ego), if you competed in such an event.

Tom
Great point. IMHO the CL63 is a sporty LUXURY car. It's not a true sports-car and does not have the characteristics that can qualify it as such. A 996 C2 is a sports car. The CL63, no matter what AMG engine/suspension/transmission is still a luxo-cruiser that is more sportier than its base model, the CL550. However, if I get the chance to buy one in the future someday, I would consider it, since I appreciate a sporty luxury car!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Absolutely not...I don't like fanaticism in any form.... it turns people into sheep and usually results in very bad outcomes. If everyone was a MB fanatic there would be no point in MB improving the breed...why would they if they knew they had a captive audience.

Where has MB made a "real sports car"? The MB CLK63 Black Series was a great effort. However, its $138K price put it into a league of competitiors where its overall perfomance and appeal is so so. Also, the car started life as a mid-sized coupe, not the best starting point for a true sports car. If you are referring to your SL63, then we having diverging definitions...mine does not include 4,398lbs two seaters.

Tom
Like Carl stated, darn near perfect post, Tom. Apparently the CLK63 BS owners have not seen this post!!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by sound 8
You never answer questions, 63 engine in S or CL for instance, or where
does it say a sports car must be under 2000kgs, you are like a politician.
My SL is not a sports car, it's a super car!! I got fed up with your so called
knowledge so I have been setting you up!
Tom can answer this!!
I bow to your knowledge!!
and you have taken the bait every time, you really are so vain!
But then you revert to insults. Bye.

Insults are an expression from those less intelligent.

Prince Philip.
Now that we do not have to argue over the definition of sports car.... can we argue over the definition of hypocrisy?

Tom
Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes benz E320 CDi Sport
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebMo3mozck

Perhaps this can help out with the sound, great car, i have been a passenger in one, incredible engine.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
After driving the CL65, I would have to say that I was not shy about putting the peddle down to floor and opening it up. Truth be told, I wouldn't take it into a turn as hard as you would in, let's say, a 911 turbo. That is probably the key element that makes this car feel very Bentley GT-ish. You know all that power and torque is there, but no one is going to mistaken it for a super car. The weight is very noticeable, but the active bolsters really pin you down. The price tag just doesn't warrant the looming future with this car (super fast depreciation mainly). Get it if money is no object and you love this particular car, but I come from turbocharged cars, so torque for me is not really the key...Just my .02