CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL63 AMG vs. Maserati Granturismo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 CLS63 AMG(Designo Platinum Blk,030), 09 C63 AMG, 2010 Maserati QP Sport GTS, 2010 Maserati GTS MC
CL63 AMG vs. Maserati Granturismo S

Hello guys, I really need some help in making my decision. I am planning on trading in my cls63 for either the new cl63 or the new maserati granturismo s. I have been thinking for a long time and I still have not decided. Both cars have pros and cons. The cl63 would be definately better in terms of performace, but I just love the design and sound of the maser. When it comes to performance, I don't think I will be satisfied with the maser although it should not matter too much when it looks that good. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, how is the performance of the cl63 compared to the cls63? I assuming it would be less nimble because of the weight and size of the car. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Go for CL65 (if you can allocate additional $50k), then your problem is solved.
I too considered Granturismo at one point, but the looks wore off rather quickly. I'm "left off" with beauty, reliability, safer car and POWER to spare on my CL600 (63 having rather weak torque).
Arrange back to back test drive, possibly within one day.
Let us know the outcome.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
As usual, spot-on advice from markopolo

Had CL63 030 and 600 and have 65; IMO, 65 is worth every penny of the extra cost over the dynamically brilliant CL63/600

Hard to place value on 738 lb-ft in context of excellent traction and effortless delivery

Look-at-me exhaust sound is embarrassing on a car like 63 (or Maser) that lacks tq; also, may want to consider clutch life (and costs) of Maser

On mtn twisties w/bumpy or damp stretches, camber changes, oncoming cars, etc etc, don't know a car more precise/stable/safe than an AMG CL (incl vs SL63/65 or 599 or 997GT2)

Many lighter, lower, stiffer cars can be engineered to feel precise on a smooth, dry private track, but on real world roads, stuff like AMG's ABC chassis, brakes, steering, etc are arguably world's most cleverly engineered tech and maximize driver's confidence and pleasure during spirited driving

But do back-to-backs yourself; only judge that matters is guy writing the check