CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Cl55 amg custom 3" back exhaust with x pipe to amg mufflers and custom 3"intake

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 cl55 amg Renntech air box w/ K&N's LET 180 pulley & Tune, HE & Pump, 3'' Exhaust res/cat delete
Cl55 amg custom 3" back exhaust with x pipe to amg mufflers and custom 3"intake

I having a 3" exhaust with x pipes through yo stock amg mufflers and 3" intake w/ k&n's. Does anyone have any idea as to how much power i would potentially increase or any ideas or suggestions as to what i'm about to have done. I'm having it done next weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 AMG
KN filters

I have seen a lot of posts regarding KN filters, these say that these filters may damage your MAF.
Do some research before fitting these.
Good luck, Colin.

BTW, nice login!!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:09 PM

05 cl55 amg Renntech air box w/ K&N's LET 180 pulley & Tune, HE & Pump, 3'' Exhaust res/cat delete
Thanks, i have heard about that also. Im pretty sure as long as you keep them oiled properly ill be fine. I guess i'll find out. So i have been hearing it should help out alot with the temp through the intakes and should be able to hear the sc alot better. The exhaust videos i've heard with stock intake and the same exhaust setup spounds insane. Ill post some pics and vids when i get everything done. If anyone isinterested i cAn prob get these made for around 400 a set. Well under any other intake setup i have seen for sale. If anyone is interested let me know.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
It would be much better to keep stock piping and merely upgrade the restrictive components in the exhaust system (headers, primary cats, secondary cats). upgrading to 3.0" won't necessarily make a lot of power, in fact it could cause you to lose some power in certain portions of the power band. Keep that in mind....
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 PM

i am taking the resonators out and secondary cats and adding a xpipe and going 3" back to stock exhaust? I was assuming that this should free up restrictive exhaust flow and in turn create more power. Not much of course but I;m doing it also for more sound fom the car to give it a real tone. What do you think as far of having an intake instead of the stock airbox? thanks for the input.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by silvercl55
i am taking the resonators out and secondary cats and adding a xpipe and going 3" back to stock exhaust? I was assuming that this should free up restrictive exhaust flow and in turn create more power. Not much of course but I;m doing it also for more sound fom the car to give it a real tone. What do you think as far of having an intake instead of the stock airbox? thanks for the input.
the stock air box is the best, you can't improve on it other than getting K&N filters. Renntech is an option but its not worth the $$ for the small power increase.

If the stock mufflers have a 2.75" inlet then going to 3.0" before that is a complete waste. As I stated before when you modify the system you must take into account the entire system, merely trying to do one thing here and something else there haphazardly ... the results won't be good
Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 AM

CL65AMG
Thanks, i have heard about that also. Im pretty sure as long as you keep them oiled properly ill be fine. I guess i'll find out. So i have been hearing it should help out alot with the temp through the intakes and should be able to hear the sc alot better. The exhaust videos i've heard with stock intake and the same exhaust setup spounds insane. Ill post some pics and vids when i get everything done. If anyone isinterested i cAn prob get these made for around 400 a set. Well under any other intake setup i have seen for sale. If anyone is interested let me know.
I think the oil on the filter is the problem. I've seen problems arise from the oil on the filters getting on the heater wire in the maf and messing it up.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 AM

So if i picked up a set of headers and was 3" back would that be the best way to go?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:52 AM

CL55 AMG
As I understand it they need to be factory oiled to be ok.
It's when you do them yourself it's the problem, too much or too little cases harm to your MAF and/or engine.
So basically you need to fit a new set of K&N everytime!!
Antway, good luck, Colin.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
So if i picked up a set of headers and was 3" back would that be the best way to go?
Our CL55`s do not MAF meters. K$N is not a problem to use. All your exhaust restriction is in the first 30" from the heads. Changing filters and going from a 2.75 to 3", with X and seconday cats removed, will hardly show any power gains. Maybe 10 RWHP. Work on the first 30 " of exhaust and you can see 40 RWHP and have better sound..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
You can take a look at our CL55 exhaust headers if you are looking for more power. Again, across almost all AMGs, majority of the power is made from 2nd cats & forward... touching anything after that is honestly a waste of time & money.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
the biggest issue with k&n filters is most folks dont read the instructions. wash them let the dry COMPLETELY. then spray oil the filter again DRY COMPLETELY. then install and run. to much oil is common because people use to much . a lite spray that changes the color of the filter is all thats needed. i run k&n in my 32 and have never had an issue or cel
Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 PM

2003 cl55 (sold)
AFE Pro-Dry S filters. Washable and no oil ever needed, so you don't have to buy a recharge kit or worry about over oiling them. Just wash 'em, let 'em dry and put 'em back in. Love 'em. As far as your exhaust, sound and power are two different things. I am not sure what kind of 3" intake you are thinking about, but if it's some cone filters sitting in the engine bay, DON'T DO IT! It may provide a sound increase, but a big potential power loss due to heat. Stock MB intake is basically a "cold air" setup already. I have yet to see an intake that markedly improves upon the stock design. Not sure what state you are in, but messing with the primary or secondary cats may have emissions problems in the future, also something to consider. If you want more sound, gut your mufflers, or put on some magnaflows (low budget) or eisenmann exhaust (way high budget). 3" is really not necessary unless you are running 180mm pulley, headers, throttle body, tune, etc. I did a 3" from the secondary cats back with x pipe to magnaflows, and you know what? It isn't really that much louder. Actually, I think it is quieter, probably due to the x pipe. If power is what you are looking for, do some long tube or shorty headers, probably your best best, again, depending on your budget. K, I'm done