CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Anodize Trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 S63 Cabriolet Black With Porcelain 2019 Range Rover Velar Special Edition
Anodize Trim

He Guy's were can I get the trim on my cl55 anodized a little to much chrome on that car for me, Mostly speaking about the trim around the windows.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
I've been looking in to this for a while now and I still don't have a good answer. The CL55 has both metal and plastic chromed parts. The trim around the windows is chromed steel and the grille is chromed plastic (as are the badges). Anodization requires that a current be passed through the part being anodized which can not be done on the plastic parts.

An alternative is powder coating. With powder coating, the parts are sprayed in an electrostatic environment and then heated to seal the finish. Typically powder coating required that the parts be heated too much for most plastic parts, but now low-temperature powders are available for plastics. Finding someone to do this has been impossible. They are usually industrial suppliers.

There are two more alternatives. One is to apply 3M blackout tape to the parts. Apparently it's very flexible and if done right, looks good and lasts years. But I really don't want tape on my CL55. So the last alternative is to have the parts painted. There are paints designed for trim. They are usually semi-gloss finishes. Good auto body shops should be able to do this, but removing and re-applying trim can be difficult so they had better know what they are doing.

The Mercedes customizer BRABUS will do it for $2,500. They need the car for two weeks, but it looks good after. And, of course, you have to get the car to LA. Here is a pic of one of their cars.

Good luck,

Mark

Last edited by sequencesf; 03-02-2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 S63 Cabriolet Black With Porcelain 2019 Range Rover Velar Special Edition
anodize

Thanks for the info I was thinking just the window trim and possibly the side moulding. If you find anything more out let me know. Thanks again.