CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S500 4matic, 2004 CL55 AMG, 1986 560SEC
CL55 Questions

Hello,
I just recently purchased a 2004 CL55 and have a couple of questions as I am doing the once-over for any related maintenance items.

1- How the heck do you replace the front parking bulbs in these things?
I have the Star maintenance DVD and it has everything except the information I really need for this thing. LOL
Is there a special tool or twist to remove the socket from the headlamp housing? I have tried gently pulling and prying the socket but it won't budge. I don't want to break anything for a lousy parking bulb but there HAS to be a better way to remove these things?

2- I noticed that my Kompressor (supercharger) is engaged ALL the time.
When I fire the car up and it's idling in park in the driveway, the magnetic clutch is engaged and the kompressor is running. This seems like a bad idea and a lot of excess wear and tear I don't need. The magnetic clutch itself is fine- As soon as the engine is off, it disengages and the pulley spins freely.
There are no error codes on the display whatsoever-
According to Benz, these things shouldn't engage below 2500 RPM.
Does this clutch have a relay somewhere? Perhaps the relay is stuck and is always engaged? Again, the Star maintenance DVD tells me everything except anything specific regarding the kompressor wiring.

Any suggestions or advice on either topic above would be most appreciated!
Thanks!
Elm
Old 02-06-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
1...ask someone who have some mechanic touch...from what you write. sound like you tried and failed...

2... when initial cold start up vehicle require more air the the intake.. so the supercharger clutch engage... and what you're seeing is normal..
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM

Thank you for the info!

I've worked on cars (and Mercedes) for years, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'mechanics touch'? Since I have not seen what the bulb/socket assembly looks like apart, I am not sure how much force should be required and where it needs to be applied- It's not so much an issue with 'touch' but rather experience. Once I've successfully replaced this bulb, I will have the knowledge on how to replace them in the future.

So the supercharger engages when cold (even at idle) and will disengage once the engine reaches operating temperature?
That is a load off my mind- I wish the factory documentation would pass along little tidbits of information like that ;-)

Thanks again!
Elm
Old 02-06-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Due to repairs to these hi per car being very expensive and even more expensive when performed at the dealers, you should imediately consider obtaining a 3rd party warranty such as the one from chysler.

One major engine or tranny repair can set you back the value of the car.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Warranty

Understood about the warranty concerns.
Since I bought this car at an extremely reasonable price and it's not my daily driver, I will be forgoing the extended warranty route (I know, this is potential suicide). For what I paid for the car, I can afford to pay out of pocket for some major repairs and still be ahead of the game.

The issue I have with most 3rd party extended warranties is the coverage they provide for vehicles such as the CL55 AMG. Granted, nothing is cheap on these cars but my labor is- Meaning I can repair 80+% of the issues myself, regardless if it's engine, transmission, suspension etc.

The items I would really like for an extended warranty to cover are the things most won't touch- IE ABC or pneumatic suspensions, COMAND/Navi systems etc. These the some of the most costly items and the biggest pain to replace.
Of the very few companies that will offer an exclusionary warranty for an AMG, the premiums they charge make it a questionable investment for someone like myself.

I'm not saying extended warranties are bad- They provide comfort and piece of mind for most folks that don't have the facilities to perform their own repairs. I'm just saying that based on previous experience, they aren't for me.

By the way, I was able to use a 90 degree long nosed pliers to finally pull out the parking light socket without damage. These things fit snug!
Elm