CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Tire Pressure Sensor not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 CL55
Tire Pressure Sensor not working

OK, weird chain of events. Need some advice.

Weather got really cold (28 degrees (hey its Houston- thats cold for us) and tire pressure read very low readings. My tires were bald anyway so I went Discount Tire and replaced all four. After I left I reactivated my TPS and it started working and stopped about an hour later. Has not work since. It acts like its working (no malfunctions) then when I go the pressure screen it says (will reappear after driving for a few minutes) but, it never does, and then I get the dreaded "drive to workshop" message that I need to hit R button to reset.

Did Discount Tire mess it up? Was it the weather? I mean it worked fine until that cold snap. I have an 04 CL55 with 27K miles. No issues whatsover other than this.

Thanks for any input as my extended warranty does not cover tire pressure sensors....
Old 02-06-2010, 06:04 PM

Bicycle
These sensors are not cheap as I understand, maybe the tech. guy stole 'em?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I would start at Discount, but more than likely is the batteries in one or more of the TPS are on the way out and need replacing. When I had mine done they ran ~$300/each.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 PM

2004 CL55
On an '04 you are well into the period of time where they are going to start to go on you. Unfortunately, new batteries means new sensors so get ready for about a thousand bucks.

When they first ran out of juice though, it happened during a tire change. I don't know what it is about taking them out and putting them in again, but it is possible if they were low on life that your tire change just pushed them over the edge.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 PM

2003 Lincoln LS V8
Batteries don't work well when cold, and if they were on their way out anyway the cold was probably the final straw. They might start working again once they warm up, but given the age they're probably at the end of their useful life.

If you're in the habit of checking your own tire pressure and don't want to pay for replacement sensors, a dealership can disable TPMS for you so you don't have to deal with the error messages.

As for the very low readings: The cold will cause the air in your tires to contract, causing your tire pressure to drop. It's a good idea to check your pressure any time you have drastic temperature changes.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 PM

04 CL55
you all have a point- maybe at end of life. Why did they go out all at once though? TPS wont pick up/show any of them. Seems like if one battery went out, my display would show the other three tires still- right? does this make sense?

I may go the TPS disable route if I have to buy new sensors.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM

2003 Lincoln LS V8
The cold probably did them in. If it had been warmer, they probably would have failed one at a time. Mine started to give intermittent errors when they were on their way out, but once I drove up North they all failed together.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL550
mine have been screwing up too. my understanding is that the expected battery life is about 5 years, so your car being an 04 they were probably running on their last breath...