CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

AMG CL & SL Integrated Seatbelt and Airbag Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Exclamation AMG CL & SL Integrated Seatbelt and Airbag Issues

AMG is the only auto co. utilizing the "integrated seatbelt design" (shoulder harness attached to top of seat only), in vehicles exceeding 500hp now (all CL & SL AMG vehicles).

Does anybody ever question the ability of an integrated seatbelt to perform in vehicles powerful enough to require 5-point safety harnesses per NHRA guidelines (<12sec 1/4 mile)?

Does anybody ever question the ability of the airbag's deccelerometer to function in these highly modified AMG vehicles? Or if AMG modified the base models' safety systems when making all other modifications?

I experienced a low-speed high-acceleration head on collision in a 2003 CL55 where both systems' design proved insufficient. The seat back bent forward by over 40-degrees without a scratch or bruise to my right shoulder and I incurred a 10-staple laceration to the back of my head against the moonroof. It started from an automatic downshift (another feature worth revisiting). The front of the CL55 was sheared off before any decceleration. A simple electro-mechanical push button sensor/over ride will tell the airbag deployment module that the vehicle is crumpling for a timely airbag deployment. Mercedes is now putting up a disgraceful fight. It's going to be an example of either poor engineering or real poor management/love for the all mighty dollar (since the same seats are used across all CL & SL's for over a decade now). The unbelted driver sustained a 10x14cm hemorrhage to his occipital scalp area.

If you're going to wreck in your CL or SL AMG, use the break before attempting to transmit impact energy to the other vehicle by using the gas. In this example both drivers braced on the accelerators from relatively low speeds. The CLK is a good example of the proper shoulder belt connection for the CL class. The SLK and SLR are good examples of what the SL class should be equipped with.
Mark Soliman
Attached Thumbnails AMG CL &amp; SL Integrated Seatbelt and Airbag Issues-09-passengers-side-interior.jpg   AMG CL &amp; SL Integrated Seatbelt and Airbag Issues-09-drivers-side-interior.jpg   AMG CL &amp; SL Integrated Seatbelt and Airbag Issues-accident-photo.jpg   AMG CL &amp; SL Integrated Seatbelt and Airbag Issues-06-06-11-tragedy-newspaper-photo.jpg  

Last edited by virage105; 06-20-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL600, E30 325i Previous ride CL55 2004
wow, that wreck looks really bad.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
This is the outcome of a 3-4 second duration from an approx. 25mph role.
I was asleep in the front passenger seat awaking upon the automatic downshift/lunge (while exiting a curve).
Witnesses w/i 100' behind us lost site of us for "a moment" thru that curve when everything occurred (downshift lunge, recovery attempt and collision).

If you have a CL or SL AMG, just be aware of their weaknesses as a result of their strengths. Cause there's nothing like throwing your limbs up during a fight for your life while no safety systems are serving their purpose in a $150,000 "luxury supercar". All three others involved died that night.

I will soon conduct a crash test of a 2003 CL55 via frontal barrier at 30mph (FMVSS spec) with the exception of using the vehicle's own power at full acceleration. Upon redemonstration of my experience I will then perform the same test on a 2003 CL500 to demonstrate the effects of power modifications on base-model safety systems so MB can finally get my rather simple point. Results will be published. MB is planning to attend. $100k, months of my time, and 4-years since this event simply because they denounce the case report photos and medical records while flexing their neanderthalic legal muscles. Can only be thankful that I'm finally able to stand up, shake the weak chickens off my back, turn around and make them pay for their choices. The harder they push the harder I'll fight for a total recall of every SL & CL AMG front seat and airbag system since 1999.
Attached Thumbnails AMG CL &amp; SL Integrated Seatbelt and Airbag Issues-09-overall-cl55-rear1.jpg   AMG CL &amp; SL Integrated Seatbelt and Airbag Issues-09-overall-limo-rear1.jpg  

Last edited by virage105; 06-21-2010 at 09:35 AM.