CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

E55 to a CL55-Couple questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 to a CL55-Couple questions

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help.

I sold my E55(2005) and have been holding off on another fun car until I decide what I really want... I am now torn between two totally different beasts; 1. 03-06 CL 55 AMG 2. 02-05 Z06.

I don't expect anyone to walk me thru that decision as it's apples and oranges but what i do need help with is understanding HOW can the prices on the CL55's be so low?? I used to drool over these (CL 55's, 65's and 600's) when I would take my E55 in for services.. the price tags would b!tch slap me back to reality. The CL AMG's are easily one of the most beautiful bodies of all time.

My E55 was absolutely bullet-proof, it was my DD and never ever ever gave me one problem... didn't love it but really enjoyed it. I think the E Class vanilla body style kinda left me wanting, but either way the car was super reliable... what is different with these CL's? I keep reading about this ABC issue. Is this the primary culprit or are there a few others to worry about?

Thanks gents and for clarity, this car will be a part-timer.. We have a couple other cars we use regularly but I have that need for speed again.

Also, what are the performance numbers on the CL 55? Can't find a road test, just SL/CLS/S55's.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
same as ur e55
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by SC Greg
Hi all and thanks in advance for any help.

I sold my E55(2005) and have been holding off on another fun car until I decide what I really want... I am now torn between two totally different beasts; 1. 03-06 CL 55 AMG 2. 02-05 Z06.

I don't expect anyone to walk me thru that decision as it's apples and oranges but what i do need help with is understanding HOW can the prices on the CL55's be so low?? I used to drool over these (CL 55's, 65's and 600's) when I would take my E55 in for services.. the price tags would b!tch slap me back to reality. The CL AMG's are easily one of the most beautiful bodies of all time.

My E55 was absolutely bullet-proof, it was my DD and never ever ever gave me one problem... didn't love it but really enjoyed it. I think the E Class vanilla body style kinda left me wanting, but either way the car was super reliable... what is different with these CL's? I keep reading about this ABC issue. Is this the primary culprit or are there a few others to worry about?

Thanks gents and for clarity, this car will be a part-timer.. We have a couple other cars we use regularly but I have that need for speed again.

Also, what are the performance numbers on the CL 55? Can't find a road test, just SL/CLS/S55's.
The prices re lower because the coupe body style is not for everyone making resale more difficult as witnessed in the asking prices of the CL. Performance numbers are close but the E is a little quicker due to its weight advantage. The only diffreence in reliabilty overall is the ABC system in the CL. Pricey to repair and it is either bulletproof or a problem child.

One real difference between the E and CL are the materials used and the fit and finish. When you compare them side by side the CL is clearly the winner
Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
ABC suspension is a big difference, reliability wise. There's also lots of vacuum and hydraulic assisted items (door closing, trunk opening/closing) that aren't found on the E class that are susceptible to breaking.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM

I still haven't driven one yet... spotted a few on Autotrader(2-03, 1-04) that are all around 55k miles and asking price in the $28k range. I am sure I can get those prices down and will start seriously looking in the next week. My goal is to decide and have it by New Year.

Waiting to see the handling characteristics vs. my E55. That car was pretty tall and narrow for all that power and didn't ever feel really planted. Maybe it's because I went from an Audi S4 to that...

Thanks for the help and I will keep checking in on other responses.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:40 PM

cl55
I own an "02" Cl55 AMG. I love this car, best car I've ever owened and I've owened some pretty nice higth end cars. People look at it like they have never seen one before and to be honest they probably never have as I live up in the North East. I will say though that the ABC is a major problem. My ABC light is on and sometimes it sit's very higth and other times it sit's on the tires. I've been told I need a strut because its leeking fluid but park it in tyhe same spot in my garage and not one drop of Hydr.fluid anywhere I've been told it needs a new pump and been told I need some kind of a regulator switch of some kind. Each place I took it to told me something different. This is still a problem for me and I'm not going to fix it until I'm positive what the rteal problem is. Parts are very expensive for this car because it is a rare car. Other than the ABC problem this car is awesome!!! The only think I wish it had was the kompressor but it's still pretty quick. The body style is timeless as I've heard other people mention. After all that being said the ABC is a major problem with the cl as I've read through many of these post's on MBworld and there have been many complaints about the ABC, some even suggesting there should be a recall on this system.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
I have a 2006 CL55 AMG, (along with a 2003 SL500 Sport which also has ABC). My wife drives a 2005 CL-500 Standard Edition.

The wife's car now has around 73K on it and has been quite reliable. Same goes for my 2006 CL55 which has just 26K. I did have experience the ABC problem with my 2003 SL and unfortunately that occurred shortly after the extended CPO Warranty expired. It cost me over $4K to replace the ABC rear struts and recharge the system at the Stealership!...Ouch!

Despite that, I still love the SL-500 Sport, although if I had to choose just (1) car to own for the rest of my life, it would STILL be my 2006 CL55 AMG. It just does everything so well! I much prefer the 215's sporty, (SL-like), styling verses the newer, (and more bulbous style) of the 216 CL's. I also like my shifter on the floor console where it belongs, thank you very much!

Last edited by bob55; 02-12-2011 at 03:10 PM.