CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Just test drove a CL55 AMG... wow.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 CDi Bluetec
Just test drove a CL55 AMG... wow.

That was fun!

My local dealer (Meray in Oakville) has a brand-new CL55 AMG for sale, and I just test drove it. That's quite a car!

The equipment is just excellent - cooled seats, you can raise/lower the entire car, COMAND, self-folding outside mirrors, etc etc. But of course the three notable things about this car are:

- Engine (power, torque and kompressor characteristics),
- Roadholding,
- Brakes.

And wow, that is one excellent car on all three counts.

Engine: Usually, I don't like the Kompressor engines much - I prefer a smooth power curve. But in this car with its excellent power and stellar torque, it did not bother me at all. On the contrary: When it kicks in it's just an extra chance to be pushed back into your seat even more. This is OK because before it kicks in there is so much torque that you can spin around in every corner if you like (except the electronics would stop you), and that in an hour you can potentially get more speeding tickets than Bill Gates has available spending dollars. This is not a car do be able to drive at a steady 55 mph. In fact I felt myself thinking: "with this much power, why does it even have a gearbox: you could just drive it permanently in 3rd gear". Ha ha.

Roadholding: and this is what makes it so much fun. This car is glued to the road, which is exactly what you want when you have almost 500 horses pushing you. Best roadholding I have yet experienced. The driving in many ways reminded me of a go-kart: whiz up to a corner, whip the wheel around, and it sticks and effortlessly pulls you around exactly where you wanted to go. Only at a speed, weight, and height many times that of a go-kart.

And when you drive in "sporting style", as it were, you need huge brake power, and the CL 55 AMG has that too. Huge brakes and I felt very secure; no funny brake characteristics, it's pretty even, no fading, etc.

Now, a disclaimer: all this is of course just a quick first impression, based on a brand-new car that I did not want to take above 4000 rpm (it was brand new and has to stay below 4000 rpm). So just imagine when it's run in.

Michael
Old 05-05-2003, 02:50 PM

SL550
Great writeup! That car is a beast!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:12 AM

2003 CL55
Michael
After run-in the engine is phenomenal. I have about 1800 miles on mine and it has loosened up noticably. The handling is, as you have noted, excellent for such a large car. It is not the same as a 996 TT or C4S, but the ABC keeps the wheels planted in much faster than normal corners. My guess is that for most exit/entry ramps the CL55 will go just as fast without drama as one would like and certainly faster than all but a few true sports cars.