CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Considering CPO 2005 CL65, please advise.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by BestSL
The original owner sold it in Tennessee with a bit over 1000 miles, in 2005, just months after buying it. Then the next owner just traded it in at Fletcher.

Really not a 50K car with this low of miles?? It's hard to compare. I've been shopping for a CL65 for over a year now and I've never seen one with this low of mileage. It is under book at 56K. KBB has a private party value of 62,525 for excellent condition, 60,125 for good condition.
Retail is 66,825.
I know, the lack of options bugs me a bunch. But i thought i could live without them and own such a low mileage car. It also comes with a complete and extensive 1 year Mercedes warranty. I can get 2 more years. Maybe I can negotiate an awesome price on extended coverage. They are firm at the 56K price. Thanks for the help guys.
It's worth every penney if you can get an extended warranty from FJ for 5yrs/100k mi from date of purchase. They can write you a policy from Fidelity and stand behind it. Include the cost in your negotiations.

Without, it's overpriced.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 AM
Banned

1987 Buick GNX,SL65 Black, 1987 Buick Turbo Limited, 2010 GT500
the body style is getting popular again...

As the car ages in years the car is a badass looking car...it gets more attention and admiration ...you simply see less and that makes it a standout body style all over again.....considering it looks better then most newer ones anyway...........anybody here that owns one will know they get stared at all the time...and questions come up by curious folks

now on the car with 8000 miles....no options? I wouldnt just for the options....and I own A 90K MILE CL65 ....15k miles put on by me when I bought it 5 months ago....and guess what...ZERO ISSUES AND ZERO RATTLES CREAKS OR WEAR ON EITHER SEATS....yep..90k miles....and the car looks new....you want it? for $35k I will sell it to you...and I will put it against the 8000 mile one anyday....I have owned a 10k mile one ...14k mile one....44k mile one 58k mile one and more.....and you know what I KEPT THE 90K MILE ONE....WHY? It runs stronger and tighter and has a near perfect vmi record.......

point made....IF THEY ARENT DRIVEN ...you are ****ed for repairs....

oh and the CL55 vs CL65....lol....the v12 is more reliable and rarer and smoother and just cooler.....take that from a guy who has owned them all......

Last edited by retardedmunk; 01-24-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL65
The majority on this thread do not put a premium on low mileage at all. That's surprising. It really is. Most products in life are gauged on use. I'm an amateur photographer, DSLR bodies are rated on the actuation count of the shutter of the camera. The shutter is only rated for 'X" shutter releases If it has 100K on it, it is worth way less than one with 10K. I paid high market 2 years ago for a D200 with only 5K actuations. Same with a mower with an hour meter on it. But most of you, with this particular car, are not impressed with low miles on the CL65's. That's good. Really good. I like all of the talk about how reliable, solid and perfect these high mile examples are. That is very encouraging to hear going into this 65 ownership possibility. Sounds like i'll be more than happy in the years to come with the fit, finish and quality of this car. I had a similar experience with a high mileage 5 series BMW. 130K miles and it felt and handled tighter than all of the new cars we checked out. We would have kept it and gone to 200K but the engine was left on after the water pump froze. The block got really hot and oil started leaking bad. Can't wait to start putting on some miles!! Any other 65 owners in Washington going to go to Pacific Raceways this spring? I'll be there. Would be great to go head to head with another 65. I've raced up there a bunch, test and tune nights. Some weekdays you can get up to 10 passes in. Track always seems slippery, but it's a great time nonetheless.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
the original poster should entirely skip both cars in question.
1. they are priced too high
2. dealership will not negotiate 5 dollars
3. the car has no options - which are key to MANY people
4. the mileage is fairly irrelevant, dealership doesn't want to move the cars apparently
5. book values do not apply well to amg's, these 2 cars in question are not in line with actual market
6. the cars are overpriced
7. once again, thousands overpriced

lastly, headliner is in fact the correct color. only way it came, you had no choices then
Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Banned

these cars are gonna go up in value over time

the body...the rarity and so on.... having owned many ...and I own a 90k mile now... I love the cars ..... les then a hundred floating around the states.... to cool of a car...too damn fast for most anything and the mileage on these cars are just a number.....

I wouldnt pay that much for one (8500) mile car.......I would buy a 60k mile or higher mile car for under $40k...no warranty and thats it.....

after owning enough of them ...i havent had any issues with repairs....zero.... some guys here will disagree.....but nobody here has put as many miles on them as I ....so I can say they are sick *** cars and as relable as hell
Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
The value of these W215 cars is not going to go up, as they get older it will continue to go down. Only someone trying to sell one would argue otherwise.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed...these are not going to appreciate. However, the AMG and 600-series will become classics someday, especially if they are low-mile/rgeat shape and the horsepower wars end (they have to, at least in gas-powered internal combustion), and will retain stable values above rock-bottom.

I agree it's weird people do not place any price premium on low mile cars. That makes no sense, as a low mile car, all else being equal, is obviously worth more than a high mile car. But I think the point some of us try to make is that as far as cost paid and maintenance/repairs needed, there is such a thing as TOO low miles. Yes the car is worth more than a high mile car, but then you have to consider that you'll need to spend some money on it as things break which might have broken and been repaired already on a car with some more miles. So make sure you factor that into the decision.

I buy a lot of classic W126 chassis cars, and I've had them in the last five years (last model year was 1991) with 55 (FIFTY FIVE) original miles, 9600 miles, 14K miles, 17K miles, etc. I've also had them with 50K, 70K, 80K, 42K, etc.

The 55 mile car was absolutely new and pristine, smelled new, WAS new. And it needed almost $5000 in seals, gaskets, weatherstripping, etc etc. The 42K mile car needed ZERO, because it was exercised just enough for all the seals, gaskets, hydraulics, etc to stay flexible and not leak.

I have over 3000 cars under various warranties, and a few hundred of those are MB's, and a few dozen at least are AMG and 600-series cars. I can not disagree more strongly with suggesting you do not buy a warranty for these cars if you plan on driving them and keeping them for a while. I would STRONGLY suggest you get the best warranty you can find that's realistically priced from a good company, because more than likely you will be using it. Maybe not often if it's a solid car, but when you do use it the claims submitted can be shocking.

I think it's great Monk's car is rock-solid reliable, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that is the exception and not the rule. Almost every one of my AMG/600 cars under warranty will see 100% or more payback against the cost of the warranty, and some of them will hit 300%, 400%, 600% or more. I have the same thing with some Audis; Allroads, RS6s, etc. The owner buys a plan for $3500, and in 3 years has $8000+ in claims paid with two years remaining on the plan! A trans/torque converter on an RS6, a common failing, is $8500 to replace. A bad turbo, which requires an engine pull and for both of them to be replaced, is $9000 at the dealer. A leaking airmatic strut, line, two leaking hydro lines, and a level sensor, also common failings on our cars, is $3K + at a dealer JSUT FOR THAT ONE SINGLE CLAIM. I bought an S600 where the high beams would not stay on, and it needed two headlight control units at $3K+!

Sure if you do your own work, have diag equipment, source cheap/used parts, you can do much better than the above. But if you buy the right warranty you drive into the Benz dealer, pay your $100 deductible, and drive it home when it's repaired. And for a lot of people that own these extremely complicated cars, that's the only option they have.

Be careful. I'd rather see someone spend $3K less on a car with a few more miles and get a $3K warranty than the other way around. These cars can sneeze and cost $3K at the dealer to repair.

Bruce

Last edited by Becks Imports; 01-24-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by retardedmunk
some guys here will disagree.....
The majority would disagree.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Maybe I'm a dreamer since I own a 2005 cl65, but is this a similar platform to compare the 215 CL65 to in maybe 10 yrs from now? The BMW 850 CSI was not a very high production car. It's a similar big coupe no post German car with a body shared by higher production smaller horsepowered engines offered in lesser 8-series. Again probably not attractive to a large audience, but I will be a happy man if my CL65 is worth half of what these guys are trying to get for their cars in another 10 years.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1295921228772

http://autos.aol.com/used-list/make1-BMW/model1-8+Series/trim-850CSi/location-12550/vcond-Used/cpo-true/range-12500/
Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
I also think the car mentioned by the original poster at Fletcher's is a bit too expensive. The CL65 is a great car, but notorious for it's depreciation. For me a strong history is much more important than low mileage. You may be better off with a car with 40k miles vs 10k miles if it has been well maintained. And remember, your low mileage example is not perfect - for that price it better be mint, and it's not. (Needs tires, various other cosmetic things you've mentioned.)

Don't be afraid of high mileage. I have an S55 AMG with 156,000 miles, and I put on almost 40k miles a year on it as my daily driver. It has ABC and pretty much all of the options a CL65 has, save the brakes and engine. Still going strong, drives like a new car.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
S550 coupe
I bought my CL65 about to years ago with 22K miles. I concider it a ceam puff, but no options. I got it certified + 2 extra MB warranty for a total of 7 years or 100K miles. It will last till Aug 2012. It has 46K miles now, so I will only get to 70K miles max, so in my case I would have paid the same for a 40K mile CL65...

I paid $51K + shipping + certification + extra warrant +++ I think about 60K out the door.

In this case, if you have 1.5 - 2 years warranty left and drive 40K miles a year and it is exactly the car you want it seems like a good buy to me. Not many out there and not many so "fresh".
This history seems pretty solid to me with only 2 owners and 8K miles?

I value / buy MB's on remaining certfied warranty...
As noted above you nee dto have warranty or it will cost you to keep it perfect. My cars are perfect otherwise it bothers me, some people are OK with small defects..
If mine is worth 20K when I sell it out of warranty, I concider it the best value for money I ever owned because I like the car that much. I just ave to decide next year if I sell it or set 10K a year aside to fix it.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 01-25-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

I think otherwise....

The 65's are going to hit a rock bottom and more then likely go up a bit in value...mainly because it truly is a rare and unique car.....

even the 2003 CL500's are still bringing $18-20k at auction in some cases....and a CL65 for $30k? or $25k? is crazy....100k miles or 10k miles...these cars should be considered supercar territory as they are and not just any other car.....

I always say if more people knew about them ...then they would never be for sale....

only 180 of our cars were built.... less then 100 in the USA.... its kinda like owning a Picasso....more then one painting was painted but only a handful left out there..... I personally love owning a car that is so rare
Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
The 65's are going to hit a rock bottom and more then likely go up a bit in value...mainly because it truly is a rare and unique car.....

even the 2003 CL500's are still bringing $18-20k at auction in some cases....and a CL65 for $30k? or $25k? is crazy....100k miles or 10k miles...these cars should be considered supercar territory as they are and not just any other car.....

I always say if more people knew about them ...then they would never be for sale....

only 180 of our cars were built.... less then 100 in the USA.... its kinda like owning a Picasso....more then one painting was painted but only a handful left out there..... I personally love owning a car that is so rare
Actually the numbers are 194: 142 '05s and 52 '06s built for the US market. Worldwide, I am sure the number is probably under 400 total.

http://www.topgearage.com/?p=260

Tom
Old 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
its kinda like owning a Picasso....more then one painting was painted but only a handful left out there.....
Car pride is one thing but reading something this misguided makes me embarrassed to have ever joined this site.

Last edited by Nstar; 01-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM

2005 CL65
LOLOL NStar....but you know, who cares about value. What you pay, plus or minus a few grand...who cares. Plus or minus 6 or 7 percent isn't going to break the bank when you're in the market in this price range. It's all about passion. We all love something with passion. We have to have it, enjoy it and have no regrets. Car ownership of this caliber is fun. Not everyone loves cars like we do. The only thing that matters is that YOU are enjoying your car. Value, now, in the past or the future doesn't matter to me that much. Alls i know, i want a 4, 5 or 6 year old CL65 in my garage at all times. I love German engineering and when the 65 is expired, rest assured, our German brothers are going to make something that we all can't live with out. And i'll want THAT in my garage.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
LOLOL NStar....but you know, who cares about value. What you pay, plus or minus a few grand...who cares. Plus or minus 6 or 7 percent isn't going to break the bank when you're in the market in this price range. It's all about passion. We all love something with passion. We have to have it, enjoy it and have no regrets. Car ownership of this caliber is fun. Not everyone loves cars like we do. The only thing that matters is that YOU are enjoying your car. Value, now, in the past or the future doesn't matter to me that much. Alls i know, i want a 4, 5 or 6 year old CL65 in my garage at all times. I love German engineering and when the 65 is expired, rest assured, our German brothers are going to make something that we all can't live with out. And i'll want THAT in my garage.
Over paying a few thousand should not be the issue. A 6 year old car with 8K miles is a rare find that cannot be duplicated especially the new condition of the interior and leather. At this point in time, a 6 year MY car is questionable as to extended warranty availablity. It is CPO. In addition, as I said earler, the warranty is the major factor of concern besides condition. After this year, forget CPO and 3rd Party Extended Warranty. Currently, the Dealer can write a 5 year/100000 extended warranty. This is priceless since Chyrsler stop writing MB extended warranties. Others do not write 65s at all.
I would not let this opportunity pass without acting. The odds are against one banking on driving the car for several years without a repair. 1 reapir bill can easily exceed one's imagination.
Go for it.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:15 PM

2005 CL65
Berman, thanks for the supportive and logical words. I look at low mileage in the same light. The argument about higher mileage cars already having all of the broken things fixed for you is bunk. That's assuming that they were grade A+ owners and did everything they should have. And have all receipts to show for it. And yes, time is totally running out getting anything like this with CPO anything! I'd have to go to the '07 models for that. I like the '07 interior, but not the exterior so much. I may be the last one getting an '05 CPO'd.

Anyone going up to Pacific Raceways in Kent Washington this spring?? I know i mentioned this before but I haven't heard from anyone. I sure hope there are some owners in this neck of the woods. If not CL's maybe some SL's. I can't wait to smoke those chipped Mustangs. Can i smoke a chipped Mustang GT If i react and hook fairly well? There are always a couple of really quick dune buggies out there to that I'd like to smoke as well. And the BMW M's, the 'Vettes, ALL of them!!! AAAhhhhhhhhhhh!!! More Power !

Last edited by BestSL; 01-25-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM

2005 CL65
A bit off the thread topic, but...

Actually the numbers are 194: 142 '05s and 52 '06s built for the US market. Worldwide, I am sure the number is probably under 400 total.

.....What is this topgearage website? I've seen it quoted many times in the past. Does everyone agree that this information is reliable? It says "Bryan Grant Development" at the very end of the page. It's a sparsely populated website without any other information. Sure would like a backup information source about Mercedes production numbers. I've looked, as I'm sure many of you others have, and I have not found anything that can confirm this topgearage data. There is no reason to trust this information. There is no reason NOT to trust this information. I guess I'm on the fence with this information.

Last edited by BestSL; 01-25-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5

.....What is this topgearage website? I've seen it quoted many times in the past. Does everyone agree that this information is reliable? It says "Bryan Grant Development" at the very end of the page. It's a sparsely populated website without any other information. Sure would like a backup information source about Mercedes production numbers. I've looked, as I'm sure many of you others have, and I have not found anything that can confirm this topgearage data. There is no reason to trust this information. There is no reason NOT to trust this information. I guess I'm on the fence with this information.
The #'s posted on that website match the ones posted on the amg owners private lounge. I posted that website only because it would be accessible and contained the same information. You will have to register to see the information.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...a4f09ff6133a9f

You certainly get worked up over the minutia...

Tom
Old 01-26-2011, 12:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
AZBENZ, you are looking in the 40,000 mile range and higher right? I just can't see this one with only 8500 miles priced below 50K. I would like that, but i don't think it's going to happen. Salesman says no to 55K, that he will have it sold no problem if i don't want it at 56K. I have a standing offer for a SL65 with 8800 miles for 69K. All options. They want 71.5K and won't even give me a follow up call. They didn't even counter offer my offer of 69K. 71.5K or nothing. So I walked. These people are just as firm with this CL65 at 56K. I know all the salesmanship gaming, my wife has been in the biz for years. They are firm and declined my 55K offer, let alone the 52K i really wanted to offer.
Question, is a CL65 in mint condition with no options a problem down the road with re-sale? I put very few miles on my 2nd drivers, so it stands to be one of the lowest milage 65's in the country in a few years.
I'm looking between 30-40k for miles and my price is under 40k. I've been getting very close to those numbers and prices will continue to drop
Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

TMC

I know the actual numbers ..... but there were quiet a few exported back out of the USA...... leaving less then a 100 here in the USA....and account for the ones wrecked and stolen or etc. making them rarer then a 959 Porsche and Carrera GT etc....and Veryon.....

And to compare a old 8 series big body coupe to the CL65 is a joke.....the 65's are the most powerful production car in the world..... that by itself puts the car in a CLASS of its own.....

And again I differ on the high mile car vs the low mile car.... owned them all and feel the higher mile cars are overall more reliable not because all the parts were replaced? These cars are more reliable then most anything I have owned....but because of the usage and mechanical aspect.... these cars need to be driven or they will break down...

And as for the comment on the Picasso and the to be embarrassed to be here for such a comparison

I SEE THOSE PAINTINGS AS A RICH FOOLS DESIRE TO OWN SOMETHING RIDICULOUS AND UGLY AND BEING THAT THE ARTISTS DIED BROKE AND NOW THEIR WORK IS LEFT FOR THE AUCTION HOUSES SELLING THEM AT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IS INSANE.... there are many great alive artists in modern day that have incredible vision..... I was making example of the rarity as one would put a car vs a another form of art or collector item........ again when I see those paintings I see nothing worth putting on my walls....unless it is a Salvadore Dali...who's work I feel was the best of the late great artists....
Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned

pics of my 90k mile car...

here r some pics..... looks worn out and beat up huh?
Attached Thumbnails Considering CPO 2005 CL65, please advise.-cimg2706.jpg   Considering CPO 2005 CL65, please advise.-cimg2701.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by m_berman
In addition, as I said earler, the warranty is the major factor of concern besides condition. After this year, forget CPO and 3rd Party Extended Warranty. Currently, the Dealer can write a 5 year/100000 extended warranty. This is priceless since Chyrsler stop writing MB extended warranties. Others do not write 65s at all.
The companies I represent for extended warranties rate very much on current odometer reading. There is no hard cut for years except for more than 20 years old.

So this car does still qualify for exclusionary coverage, and will continue to do so. But the prices will go up, and available term down, as the car ages in years and the odometer reading increases.

It's pretty affordable since the miles are so low.

Bruce
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BruceM
The companies I represent for extended warranties rate very much on current odometer reading. There is no hard cut for years except for more than 20 years old.

So this car does still qualify for exclusionary coverage, and will continue to do so. But the prices will go up, and available term down, as the car ages in years and the odometer reading increases.

It's pretty affordable since the miles are so low.

Bruce
Good to know who to call.
I will PM you.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM

2005 CL65
I'm not getting "worked up" Captain, just curious about the validity of the info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering CPO 2005 CL65, please advise.