CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Taking my car to a drag strip for the 1st time - need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
Taking my car to a drag strip for the 1st time - need advice

Hi guys,

I'm taking my 04 CL55 to a drag strip for the first time. Are there any best practices you can share ?
Should I keep both transmission & ABC in sport mode ? What about launch techniques ?
My CL is completely stock, what time should I expect for 1/4 mile ?

Thanks for your input !
Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
I asked the same thing when I first got my baby too hahah

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...aunch-car.html

this might help, if not sorry...never took my car to the track before but I definitely want to.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
'09 CLK550, '21 Camaro ZL1 1LE, '06 C55 AMG, '20 AMG GT53
My bet is that it will run 12.40-12.60 if it is completely stock on a track near sea level with reasonable weather. Transmission in sport for sure and ABC in comfort/convenience mode. You can lower your tire pressure to around 26psi to help with the contact patch. Go around the water if possible and don't do a "John Force" burnout with street tires. Just heat them a little and go to the line and try it out. Brake torque a little above idle and gently squeeze the throttle and then go to wide open. No abrupt slap to the floor with the throttle or you will be disappointed as the car will probably spin. Go when you see the last amber light and you will be fine. Clock starts when the car moves and not when the light turns green so don't worry that much about reaction time. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CL55
Looks like you've got two great answers here. Take out the heavy spare tire and get it down to a quarter of a tank for those last few hundredths of a second savings, then let us know how it goes!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Looks like you have a few great tips to start with. Let me add some more, since I had zero help back on my first trip..lol

1) Air up front tires to max.
2) 26-27 PSI is a great number for rear street tires
3) Run in sport mode or with our CL`s you can run in Manual and it will shift on its own anyway. This gives you more RPM at shifts in M.. (A trick I learned and have not talked about).
4) Lift suspension all the way and run in sport mode on suspension.
5) Let engine cool for about 30-45 minutes and face car into wind , while at rest.
6) Take out floor mats, spare, trunk mat and even drain your water out of your windshield squirters.
7) Another issue with our CL`s, is torque mgt. This makes is damn hard to warm tires, to get good launch.. Even with street tires, you need to smoke them up to get them sticky. So, that means you will need to back near the water to get around the damn TQ MGT. issues. Get the tires hot and do not be affraid of smoking them up!

Good luck! I ran 11.76 on my first run with just a pulley. (no tune or anything else).

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 04-26-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Looks like you have a few great tips to start with. Let me add some more, since I had zero help back on my first trip..lol

1) Air up front tires to max.
2) 26-27 PSI is a great number for rear street tires
3) Run in sport mode or with our CL`s you can run in Manual and it will shift on its own anyway. This gives you more RPM at shifts in M.. (A trick I learned and have not talked about).
4) Lift suspension all the way and run in sport mode on suspension.
5) Let engine cool for about 30-45 minutes and face car into wind , while at rest.
6) Take out floor mats, spare, trunk mat and even drain your water out of your windshield squirters.
7) Another issue with our CL`s, is torque mgt. This makes is damn hard to warm tires, to get good launch.. Even with street tires, you need to smoke them up to get them sticky. So, that means you will need to back near the water to get around the damn TQ MGT. issues. Get the tires hot and do not be affraid of smoking them up!

Good luck! I ran 11.76 on my first run with just a pulley. (no tune or anything else).
reasons for #4, and #5?

you are talking about the ABC button on my console correct? lights up twice?
Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63s Coupe
You guys are great, thanks a lot for the feedback. I feel like ready to go now :-)