CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

New here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
New here

Hey all,
First off MB in my view are incredible cars. They are the Picasso of automobiles.
I am looking at an CL65 AMG engine and transmission to install into an older MB. I have some docs concerning the car, 44k and I'm told its a 2007 or 2008. I have seen the engine etc and some other parts left from the wrecked car. The trunk lid looks like a 2005 model and so I am guessing this guy is being less than honest. Sure I need to be careful. From what I see its a 05 so what can you tell me about the engines ? I'm looking at the engine and transmission complete along with the wiring and computer. The price is 3k.
I'm a long time fuel injection, computer controls driveability guy and do have a lot of electrical experience but do understand I'm going to have to do a lot of reading to get this engine package running. What am I in for here ?
thanks John
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
I don't think there is any changes (for the 65s) in the engine/trans from 2005 - 2008 (in your range). However, $3K for engine and transmission for a 65's sound ridiculously low. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by SLCL
I don't think there is any changes (for the 65s) in the engine/trans from 2005 - 2008 (in your range). However, $3K for engine and transmission for a 65's sound ridiculously low. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

SLCL,

Thanks for the reply, I agree its cheep. What would be a more appropriate price be ? I just don't think there's a big market for engines in this class of car in the used market, you in the forum would no better than I for sure. The alternator pulley and upper coolant inlet are damaged.
I know I would be taking a big chance with this engine. By the way this is a high-end aftermarket business which failed. They sold much more expensive cars then this one as a rule. The place is empty, and soon to be completely closed down. Still could be something stinks here.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
If you can personally check it (hope it's local) then I think $3K is a steal. For a big project like this, I would not mind to pay $10K for the 65 engine and trans. So, for $3K, you can always sell for parts if you have time.

Good luck with the project. BTW, what model are you planning to put this engine on? Wow, imagine you are blowing people doors off ....
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 PM

Cl65 AMG
Looks like its going to happen. We have agreed on price and I get the wiring and computers. I'm going to have to build an engine test stand and get to work decoding the MB computer controlled engine management system. I do have 25 years of EFI computer controls experience but most is with GM products. I don't know as yet what platform its bound for but getting it running will keep me busy for a while.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 AM

Cl65 AMG

Here is a shot of the engine and transmission. Thease are the connectors at the end of the engine harness. I think the engine computer or computers (engine and transmission) setup here. Any help would be great !