CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Overly complex and fragile cup holder crapping out - any tricks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Overly complex and fragile cup holder crapping out - any tricks?

It won't stay down, and the door itself won't pop open. The problems occurred simultaneously, so it seems like they have to be connected, but I can't imagine how.

I'm pretty mechanical, but I've just monkeyed with it so far to try to figure it out. Haven't taken it out/apart yet. Is there any point? Or is there something in particular that always gives up?

Anyone know what the replacement costs?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
OK, I figured it out after a little searching. First, there is an oval hole near the top of the back plate that backs up to the common wall with the armrest. You pull that up about a ¼ to ½ inch and it will click, then you can push that back plate forward and it just lifts out freely. These are plastic inserts into plastic slots so be careful, but they are designed to release pretty easily.

So what I discovered is that the pin for the hinge was sliding out forward and extended too far to allow the gizmo to go all the way down. I also did the warm water bath for good measure. And I cleaned out the bottom of the pit which had a frick’n dinner mint wrapper in there all wadded up.

So, now it works again. And I have fallen back in love.

And the door not working WAS somehow connected to the problem, as it is fine now. The gizmo must not have been going down far enough to allow it to clear properly.

And somebody quoted the replacement cost as $160. So be gentle.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what I did: I placed that marvel of German engineering in a glass box and admire it from a distance. Interestingly, warm water bath for the cupholder was administered before placing it in the glass box.

Jokes aside, somebody commented here on the forum that a nice cloth (silk or whatever) can be placed in the cupholder compartment. Much easier to handle and provides (washable) spill protection to boot.

Originally Posted by JHouse
OK, I figured it out after a little searching. First, there is an oval hole near the top of the back plate that backs up to the common wall with the armrest. You pull that up about a ¼ to ½ inch and it will click, then you can push that back plate forward and it just lifts out freely. These are plastic inserts into plastic slots so be careful, but they are designed to release pretty easily.

So what I discovered is that the pin for the hinge was sliding out forward and extended too far to allow the gizmo to go all the way down. I also did the warm water bath for good measure. And I cleaned out the bottom of the pit which had a frick’n dinner mint wrapper in there all wadded up.

So, now it works again. And I have fallen back in love.

And the door not working WAS somehow connected to the problem, as it is fine now. The gizmo must not have been going down far enough to allow it to clear properly.

And somebody quoted the replacement cost as $160. So be gentle.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
can you post some DIY pictures? I would like to clean out the bottom of my cupholder too and I think I dropped ten bucks in there and I cant reach....