CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Lower a CL...what????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiscal Neo Con Express
Lower a CL...what????

hey guys,

this is just an opinion....my opinion.
and it's not meant to insult anyone.

why in the hell would anyone want to lower a beautiful automobile like the CL or any other Mercedes Benz for that matter. it makes the car look cheap, childish and out of proportion.
that's what 16 year olds do to there civics.
this is my belief when it comes to Mercedes Benz
automobiles...the way you buy them is the way they should stay.....period! i think the germans have a pretty good idea how to style a vehicle...they've only been doing it for 100 years???
Old 06-19-2003, 05:27 PM

2001 CLK430
As much as I love the styling of many MB's, they really have enormous "fender gaps" compared to other German cars (read: BMW). Of course with that gap comes a nice ride, but it also lends itself to lean alot in corners. In the case of the CLK, (especially the W209's) lowering the front/back an inch and half or so looks great and greatly improves handling.
When you put my CLK next to an 530i w/the sport package, the wheel gaps are the same. IMO before I lowered it, it looked like it was "floating" over the wheels.

Anyway everyone's entitled to their opinion
Old 06-19-2003, 06:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
And you're missing another point: the cars, as designed and engineered by Mercedes Benz, are intended to sit about 1" lower than they do in the US.

This "4x4" ride height is forced upon them by the Department of Transportation, if I understand correctly.

I agree in so far as I have no plans to pimp my car out, slam it to the ground, smoke eveything clear, etc.... not my thing, I like the factory appearance. But the ride height in the US is unnaturally high.

- Dave
Old 06-20-2003, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Pimped out, standard, whatever floats your boat.
You pays the money, you do as you please.

Personally I think MB's standard look by 4x4 wannabes, which also negatively impacts handling. A CL would last about 5 minutes in my driveway before being lowered.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:57 PM

2003 CL55
I agree with davepl. My 03CL55 and my 02 CL500 Sport would have looked and handled better if at European ride height, but DOT regulations are to blame. The roads around Boston would do a number on even the most careful driver with either 19" wheels or a CL at ROW suspension settings. No question that they would look better and handle better, however.