CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

gorgeous CL65 CHEAP as dirt on ebay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cl65 GS430 GNX
FERRARI FF

IS the most Hideous car ever built by a Italian Car company. I was parking next to one in Palm Beach Mizner the other day- it is just UGLY
Old 03-15-2012, 02:31 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverbullet65
NOT one has giving me an ounce of trouble. I have put brakes and coils and etc but NO ABC related parts.
your experience is very atypical...
Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
No Way its you again with the same old, same old CL65 W215, with Bible Studies on it.

Ok this is going to be both very Frustrating & Crazy to read

Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

Cl65 GS430 GNX
Everybody here can call the local mechanic BENZ guru.

I don't know I have a CL65 and a SL65 Black currently. The CL I have had a while. The Black i just traded my GNX for plus cash.

He will attest that these cars are hardly ever a ABC problem if any. Who am I to say. But 5 members here alone who own 65's have had zero ABC problems with their cars.

Maybe the horror stories are related to one or two eventful cars that get out of hand?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
The 65/55/500 W215's all have ABC. There isn't any reason why the 65's should be treated separately.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Banned

Cl65 GS430 GNX
I meant all ABC related cars

I will tell you that the AMG cars have different Struts and may hold up better according to some mechanics I talked to.

JHOUSE have you had a ABC problem?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Nope. Bought it with 68K miles and now has about 78K. I got a little paranoid so I changed out the ABC and Power Steering filters. I'm going to start that process of draining those two reservoirs by sucking out the hydraulic fluid and replacing it with a new batch. I will cycle that through and have a cheap and easy transfusion.

When I first bought the car I paid to have it inspected, and they claimed one of the lines had a very slow leak. The reservoir stays completely full and there are no effects and the car maintains its height. And rides and handles beautifully.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by JHouse
The 65/55/500 W215's all have ABC. There isn't any reason why the 65's should be treated separately.
Don't forget the 600's as well.

Also the S and SL Class cars.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Yes, forgot the 600. Sorry. ABC is an option on the S and SL class isn't it?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Banned

Cl65 GS430 GNX
ABC is standard on them all

Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
From Wikipedia:

Drivetrain technologies

The W220 featured a new pneumatic suspension system (Airmatic) with Adaptive Damping System (ADS) which adjust the shock absorbers to difficult road conditions. Drivers can select a comfort or two sports suspension programmes via a switch on the dash. The Active Body Control (ABC) system is technically more advanced than Airmatic and keeps the car level even in fast corners, provides a comfort and sports setting.

For the W221:

Equipment
Airmatic DC - air suspension, similar to the system fitted to the W211 E-Class, uses air springs and adaptive electronic control to sense road and driving conditions and produce a firm or soft ride. The air suspension is only available for the smaller engines up to S 500. The S 600, S 63, and S 65 AMG are equipped with an active suspension system called Active Body Control, which is based on steel springs. ABC is also optional on all other models except vehicles equipped with 4Matic all wheel drive.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverbullet65
Bruce nobody here can help that you retail cars to the members and are a sponsor. They can research on their own and see what any car is worth paying for.

Yes CA just has bad roads and it takes a toll on the suspensions. I have seen many cars from there and when i was there that were beat to hell. Infact the many friends I have there are always at the shop. The 3 cars I bought from CA were all VMI'd to death on ABC. So yes I would say what a car is driving on makes a huge difference on the suspension in the long run. Anybody will agree that a 4x4 is meant to be off road and a AMG is built for smooth roads of refinement. its common sense.

Also I would stop continuing to relate me to RM or whoever and referring me to a banned state--unless you want a very interesting web site dedicated just to you?

We need to all be friends- this isn't prison

I am not a dealer and I have had real time and real miles on my cars to hold experience in my opinion.

I don't know about RM but I can tell u i have owned a lot of AMG'S and exotics and I am not a dealer so they were driven often and with many miles put on them. The current CL65 I own I have over 30k miles on it and it is over 100k now. And still no abc ISSUES and before that it was a Nevada car and it had only one strut replaced according to the VMI and that was around 20k miles. Since i have owned my car it has been great and outside of maintenance items it hasn't cost me anything. My first AMG was a E55 and outside of a issue with the fuel pump which was under warranty it was perfect the 32k miles I put on it. It was also a lemon law car. I have owned may more S65'S within my family. I BUY THEM and my brother and sister drive them. NOT one has giving me an ounce of trouble. I have put brakes and coils and etc but NO ABC related parts. I also have many many friends who own these cars who also claim to have the most reliable performance car they have owned. I have owned a 140k S55 and a 189k S600 and the list goes on. Again I will say I have been more then pleased with the cars. I always keep my cars in ABC SPORT mode and I do not run over potholes and drive my cars like a F1 Indycar. That saying might make a difference on why I have had a little better luck then others. And I do not buy anything from CA. or New York!!!

So I am not selling them or selling u on them. I can just say that AMG didn't skip a beat on building a $200k car with parts designed and manufactured in sweat shops in INDIA and they deserve a lot of credit for building a supercar that can see 100k-500k miles without a list of problems going wrong with them. I have yet to see a high mileage Ferrari or Lambo or Bentley without a ton of things wrong with them. I have owned 3 Bentley GT's and other exotics and they were all not pleasing to deal with at the repair shop. Bentleys are hopped up VW's and carry Phaeton parts bin items in the interior. For the idiot buying a 90k mile 2005 Bentley GT for $55k and not a CL65 for $30k are complete morons. Period
You can say what you like, but you are RM, and whatever name you had in between. I know it, you know it, and anyone on here that's even casually compared posts knows it. It's so foolish to sign up again as a new user this month, with the same cars RM had prior to being banned, making the same statements, and using the same prose, and then deny being the same person. Just admit it, I think people will respect you more for it.

You can threaten to put up whatever 'interesting' web site you'd like to dedicate to me. That's your issue to deal with, not mine.

You have owned some AMGs, congrats. I have hundreds and hundreds of claims experiences with them. You overstate the reliability of your own cars, and you blatantly misrepresent the reliability of ABC-equipped 600-series cars as a whole. When MB keeps 1500+ ABC valve blocks just at its NJ warehouse on hand at all times, that will tell you something about the reliability of the system. And Arnott did not go into the business of making airmatic and ABC rebuilt struts because they are stone-cold reliable. Your statement about the poor condition of CA roads is silly. Yes, i am sure there are some bad roads in some areas, but generally, especially southern CA, is known for smooth roads free of potholes and frost heaves. It's not MA, NH, MI, or NY/NJ for god's sake, so to single out CA as a state whose cars everyone should avoid just makes you sound silly.

Shame on me for countering your exaggerated optimism with facts.

You are right on the Bentley vs. Phaeton/VW though. Although there is still a distinctive feel to a Bentley that is not present on the Phaeton W8 or W12, or the D3 A8 Audi W12.

Bruce

Last edited by Becks Imports; 03-16-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 AM

Garage Temporarily Empty
I have known Bruce for a long while and know him to be one of the most knowledgable, grounded and thorough individuals in the business.....
P.S. I only purchase my cars and aftermarket warranties through him, as I have been doing for a few years....
When he talks about our cars, anyone should stop and listen.

Last edited by Vabene7; 03-17-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:52 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
OOPS! Just had an ABC scare. I have just switched out the filters in the Power Steering Unit and the ABC Reservoir and topped off the fluids with new Pentosin from the dealer. Recently lowered with links. No prior problems. Driving like a dream.....then.....

3 minutes after start up the computer, in huge red letters, said something like ABC SYSTEM - DRIVE CAREFULLY. No other info. No warning to get to the dealer. But it was rigid. No play in the system. I turned right around and came back and parked it. Went in the house and stressed. Got back in it this afternoon for a test drive. Everything is perfect. Back to normal. So WTF? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I knew I should have left it alone until it broke!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not good, but I would check the system for stored DTCs to see if anything specific threw that warning. It's also possible it 'hiccup'd' and that warning will not come back, but betetr safe than sorry, so check it if possible.

Bruce
Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
I might have figured it out...at least there are a couple of confirmed problems that may have caused it. First, the fluid level in the ABC was low. I don't know how I screwed up the last time, because all I did was take a measurement and top it off. Perhaps it was how I used the dip stick. Last time I pushed it all the way on tight, which gets you to a lower level when you check. This time, I just touched the top, and measured from there. Second, when I removed the main cap to replace a the gasket that fits between the filter and the cap, it looked like the filter had slipped sideways in the cap and was cocked to one side. The fluid is so slippery that this is probably easy to do, especially given that the line leading to the cap restricted you ability to just slide the filter down straight.

During this process I did extract all the fluid in both the ABC and Power Steering reservoirs and refill with fresh Pentosin from the dealer.

Question: I bought Mercedes branded Pentosin in one liter square-ish metal cans from the dealer (who looked at my car and said this is what goes in the ABC and Power Steering reservoirs because they are connected and it is a combined system). I also ordered some ABC fluid on line and it came in those plastic bottles that are shaped just like the transmission fluid bottles, also Mercedes branded. The fluid in the metal cans is dark green, and nearly opaque, the fluid in the plastic bottle (which says "Hydrraulic Fluid") is golden. The numbers don't match. Anyone know if these are the same thing/compatible or did I get some different fluid from the on line store?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
You can get Pentosin CHF 11S from many auto parts stores. Don't pay the Mercedes tax.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:36 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Amazon Amazon

The more you buy the cheaper the shipping is per can.