CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

05 CL65 - quick audio & tint questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 Lincoln Continental
05 CL65 - quick audio & tint questions

Asking for my brother (DougM) who's already on the board but never posts anymore

When tinting the windows of this car, does the "auto-vent" feature of the windows make it harder to tint? We're hoping the job can be done without them having to remove the door panels since nobody wants some random Joe ripping the panels off in a car like this.

After the windows drop when the door is opened, can they be rolled back up via the switch? Can that feature be disabled? We're just trying to address any potential issues before taking the car to the tint place.

I know there are very few of these cars with an aftermarket head unit. We're considering an entirely new audio system to have more useful navigation (I gotta say, the stock looks like an Etch-a-Sketch!) and better sound but what about the time display on the dash? AFAIK, the only way to set the time is with the radio. With an different unit, how do you accomplish it?

The very worst case scenario would be to plug the stock radio back in every spring & fall for the DST change.

Any input is appreciated!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
You can simply manipulate the door jam mounted switch to stop the windows from dropping down.

You more than likely will want to remove the door panel to get window 'seal' rail off however. The seal rail is very abrasive and should be covered with self adhesive mole skin or the tint more than likely will get scratched when the windows are rolled up and down.

Additionally, removing the door panels will allow the electronic modules contained in each to be unplugged and removed. If ANY water gets into those modules during the tinting, they will go bad and are expensive to replace.

The front door panels are easy to remove if you know how. Search the forums for a WIS document that details their removal.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w215 cl65, W212 E63, R53 Mini Cooper JCW, E92 328I
if you disable the auto feature on the glass i think the windows need to drop down because if it doesn't it will get caught up in the weather stripping (channel) and might even touch the back side glass while you open/close the door and will cause more damage then good...on my cl65 i had my glass tinted at 70% and my windshield at 80% perfect combo for my taste.. when my car was getting tinted, the biggest thing is to take it to a professonial becuase they know the tricks to use for the auto roll down problem ( heatgun ) after my car was tinted i just left my driver window down 1/4 inch so the window doesnt cycle up and down everytime i open it...after 2-3 days i was able to roll them down..

on my audio system i kept the factory head unit becuase i didnt want to mess with the fiber optic stuff and cause a bigger issue, so i order a single proccessor for around $1000 and it ties in the your factory speaker wires before the amp and provides a perfect flat signel to my aftermarket amp and to my focal speakers