CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 Lorinser Fenders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
'06 CL55 AMG, '08 SL65 AMG, '09 e550 4Matic, '13 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
CL55 Lorinser Fenders

Hello. Relatively new to the forum -- been reading for years but not much of a poster. I saw some threads here and there about Lorinser body kits for the CL55 (w215). I apologize if some of this has already been discussed, but looking for advice.

I have a 2006 CL55 black/black that I have painstakingly taken care of and is in "like new" condition w/ only 36k miles (I only drive the car about 1500 miles a year). I added some type IV AMG 2 piece wheels and thought I was done w/ sinking any more money into my beauty, but have fallen in love w/ the look of the Lorinser fenders. The fenders only, as I'm not just personally not into all the other add-ons. I don't mind spending the money for Lorinser fenders but had some questions as I have never done anything like this.
  1. Are Lorinser fenders different from replicas in that they are steel vs. fiberglass -- had trouble figuring that out.
  2. What are the pros and cons of steel vs. fiberglass to the above question if applicable?
  3. Do the Lorinser fenders fit perfectly and just have to be painted and assembled by your chosen body shop or no matter what always need work to fit properly?
  4. Where is the best place to buy Lorinser fenders for '06 CL?
  5. Does anyone know a good body shop in the tri-state metro area they can recommend that has experience with this exact type of work (I live in NYC)?
  6. About how long does this take to be painted and fitted by a body shop?
  7. What are the exact steps in installing the fenders -- just curious what the body shop does from a-z?
  8. About how much should I expect to spend on installation?
  9. Does anyone have pictures of the steps to complete for Lorinser fenders and before and after pictures to share, demonstrating perfect fit and alignment of the fenders after installation?
Thanks in advance for your responses. Sorry if these are total nubie questions.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
I'm no "Expert" in fenders, but I'll tell you what I have learned.

I ordered the Prior-Design front vented/finned fenders for the W215 CL (Was actually the first customer that ever purchased them)
1. Don't know about the Lorinser replicas. I know they make them, called like F1 Laser kit or something, but I wouldn't. Get the original piece everytime.
2. I learned from this forum. Some people hate steel, some hate fiberglass. Good work is good work. TBH, I don't think anybody makes a set of fenders for the CL made out of steel. Now over a year, and my fenders are surviving like day 1 (same material OEM fenders are made out of)
3. My fenders fit almost perfectly. They lined up right everywhere they were supposed to go, bolted up right. However, some of the holes (I think 2 in the engine bay area) needed to be widened/altered to fit the bolt. That could've been because it was such an early set of fenders. Other than that no problem.
4. Try eBay from time to time.
5. That I don't know
6. It took me a few weeks to get mine done, ONLY because I got my fins carbon fibered. To have the fenders ready and all painted with badges applied properly took about 3 days. Don't know about a body shop but it took me and my boy about 35 min each side to replace them lol. Very easy
7. Didn't document the process, but it's mostly bolts. Underneath, where the side skirts are, under the hood, you have the remove the A pillars and rubber lining. Then you in a way slide it towards the front when you feel no more resistance of bolts holding it in.
8. That all depends how knowledgeable or clueless the guy installing them is. The longer he takes, the more it'll cost you. I'll tell you this, anything more than 2 hours of installation, and you got ripped off.
9. I'm sorry, I don't
Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
^^Is your car done yet? Where are the pics of the finished product?

R.K.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
'06 CL55 AMG, '08 SL65 AMG, '09 e550 4Matic, '13 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
Thanks zneb, very helpful. I alwys though the Lorinser fenders were made from steel. If there is a significant quality difference, I have no problem w/ getting the original/Lorinser.

Just got to find and talk to a body shop first -- one that has done this and is familiar w/ the car. Then I'll order the fenders.

If anyone knows a great body ship in or around NYC please let me know.

What should I expect to pay for the total work not including the cost of the fenders?

Anyone that has first hand experience w/ Lorinser fenders, please share stories and pics.

THANKS!