CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ABC Problems - Manually Pressurizing System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 MDX
ABC Problems - Manually Pressurizing System

Was working on a 03 CL55 AMG and the ABC Suspension System. Was leaking from the Hydraulic Pump. We replaced Pump Started Vehicle and Immediately the Symptom of lowered height full time in the front end of the vehicle was corrected (Vehicle went up). After I thought we should bleed it. So first I tried starting the car pressing the Suspension control button several times (3 times on and off). Shutting the Car off and doing it again. But the Car was not responding to the button control. I did not manually pressurize the system as I am not sure how. So I proceeded to Bleed the 4 Screws (I did with pressure in the system instead of waiting 10 min after car was shut off). The Whole Car as a result is completely down, filled properly with fluid, but I am not sure If I can manually pressurize the system or if I am missing something here.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
There is a chance you ran your pump dry without pressurizing the system upon replacement. The pump would have cavitated, sucking in a lot of air. Even if the reservoir was full, the pump does not have the ability to prime itself once dry or air has entered the pump.

You need to pull the dip stick and use a rubber cork with a hole in the middle. Put the tip of a blow gun driven by an air compressor and pressurize the reservoir. Start the car and reattempt what you were doing.

I would advise a pump test Via Star/DAS to see if it hold pressure through a entire Rodeo cycle to determine if there was any internal damage (if it ran dry).
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM

CL55, S550, 450SL
Awiner is right about pressurizing the tank. There is a good chance that the pump may need to be replaced. You should do a search on here about replacing abc pumps, you will learn alot.

If i'm not mistaken, WIS also says that before starting the car after replacing the tandem pump, you need to raise the front of the car and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left then all the way to the right 30 times to remove the air. You'll need a second person to keep looking in the power steering reservoir for bubbles and to add pentosin if it gets too low.

Changing a tandem pump is not a diy project unless you really have done your homework first. Good luck though!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:36 PM

CL55, S550, 450SL
Beverlygas: I was wondering if you were able to get the pump working. Let us know please.