CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL600 Carlsson 2003 - Two years later

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SL65 AMG, 2005 Porsche Carrera, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2001 Acura CL Type S
CL600 Carlsson 2003 - Two years later

The 2003 CL 600 with Carlsson package and 625HP has been quite an experience in the past two years.

I own other cars (Acura and a GT500 - both bulletproof) and the CL requires most attention and research to keep it in top shape. Car is now at about 78,000 miles and in best shape it has ever been.

My research back in late 2011 started with each of the critical parts and subsystems. Thanks to this forum and the answers I found from other members, I have identified the sources of affordable original and rebuilt parts (pumps) and I am eternally grateful

Based on what I know today, I am drawing a conclusion that Mercedes needs a complete "overhaul" of all critical components every 60,000 miles - or else.

This includes the ABC system which is "maintenance free" but not really. Any system operating under 3000psi will wear out the pump and the lines, depending on driving conditions of course. Mercedes probably thinks that its customers need to throw $150,000 cars after three years and get a new one - therefore, CL is "maintenance-free." The good news is that ABC system can be overhauled "on a budget" with a professionally rebuilt ABC pump and hydraulic hoses which are either made at an independent hydraulic shop or acquired online (original parts at a deep discount). Difference in price for these components (hydraulic hoses) is nearly tenfold, depending on where you purchase them. Rebuilt pump costs about the 1/3 of the new pump.

Since failure of the ABC system means that car is totaled and cannot be driven, it needs to be maintained with utmost caution. I have the hydraulic lines inspected regularly for damage or "sweat."

In the past two years, I have replaced every pump, including the pump which powers the trunk. The trunk on the CL is the most ridiculous design I have seen anywhere. It has at least 2 serious points of failure (wiring harness and the funky trunk pump itself). I would pay a mechanic to make the trunk operate without pumps and all the nonsense Mercedes wired up in there.

Central locking system also relies on a PSE pump. Mine gave up at 76,000miles. Yet another pump "pumps" the windows when doors are opened and closed. Keep a part number of that pump also at hand after 60,000 mile mark has been reached.

Sparkplugs. Platinum-Iridium kind. It takes 24 of them and I got them on sale (amazon and ebay) for about 120 bucks, including "shoes." Installation/replacement will take several hours and costs accordingly. For a car that is 2003, I prefer to have it done at a shop where they can handle coil packs without breaking/damaging them.

Engine mounts. It turned out they were cracked and I had them replaced when the engine was out for ABC overhaul, so this should be done together I think, otherwise engine mount replacement alone will be too expensive.

Transmission mount was one of the few cheap repairs.

Water pump. Relatively inexpensive. Keep a part number at hand.

Coil packs. Expensive when they fail. Don't break them. Still going. Knock on wood.

Battery. After being stuck once with a dead battery (battery in trunk and trunk could not be opened because wiring/switch/whatever was funky), I keep a solar trickle charger on the dash to keep the battery alive. Don't let the battery die because when it does, car sits low and cannot be driven. It is fun though when you reconnect the new battery and push the ABC button and the Beast wakes up and lifts itself like Frankenstein! LOL

Trunk. If I "hate" anything on the CL, it is the trunk and its open/close mechanism and complexity.

Also, I am not used to taking a car to the shop so often (Acura and GT500 need only basic maintenance) and I am very reluctant to get another Mercedes. The CL is a beast and requires care like no other car I owned before or since. Even at 10 years, it is supersmooth and frighteningly fast - faster than a GT500, which is "scary fast" in itself.

My other "recommendation" is to drive GT500 in the morning to wake you up, then switch to the CL for the rest of the day

Fun has its price. Be prepared.

Last edited by CL600CK60V12; 02-05-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2014, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
I was dieing to get a CL600 in my garage until I read this thread. Great info though and thanks for posting it up.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
600/65s are great cars if you have a warranty or can do the work yourself, otherwise these cars eat up sooo much money
Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SL65 AMG, 2005 Porsche Carrera, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2001 Acura CL Type S
@Grip Grip: you can get 2003 CL600 for a relatively low price. If it has more than 60,000 miles, you need to factor in cost of maintenance which will have to be done. If you need more info, feel free to contact me. I am not a mechanic but I learned enough about components from this forum and found sources of parts at fair prices. You will need a qualified mechanic who will do the work of course.

Even ABC repair is not as scary as it is made out to be - if you get a rebuilt pump and new hoses at a fair price. Cost of labor is what it is unless you can do it yourself. Fortunately, ABC overhaul has to be done at 60-70,000 miles so it will last for a while once you have it done. Not all of it has to be done at once. I have done all repairs over a period of two years so it was manageable. It costed a few bucks but now the car is like new.

My rule of thumb is now this: if transmission mount is damaged or engine mounts are cracked, you will also need a new ABC pump. It is best to do it all at the same time because to replace the mounts engine needs to come out and same is needed for ABC repairs so it can be done in "one shot."

I am more disappointed with MB's customer service and maintenance information - I like the car.

CL600 is a very complex machine. All that hydraulics and electronics has a limited lifespan and we have to be aware of it and know it well enough to be able to find qualified mechanics and parts manufacturers. I refuse to pay MB's inflated prices for parts. Hydraulic components are commonplace and can be purchased as commodities.

The money spent on the car is not an issue in itself. What is an issue is to say that ABC requires "no maintenance" which is simply wrong (or that there is no clear maintenance schedule for hydraulic components). Every rebuilt hydraulic pump is as good as new.

Depending on one's driving style, these components will wear out sooner than later. Same applies to engine mounts. Electronics is different and can last a long time.

CL600 designs (trunk, door locking mechanism) is almost laughable in its complexity.

Even though I have spent a bit of money to restore the CL600, it is well worth it - Batmobile performance and handling at a Hyuindai price.

Driving a Mercedes requires a bit of "education". For Acura and GT500, one needs to know little about the car itself because they are made to last and they are less complex than CL600 (fewer critical components which can fail).

If you just want the raw, breathtaking power, get a Shelby GT500, preferably 2011+ (aluminum engine). It will wake you up and it is bulletproof. However, it will cost you more than the CL600 (with repairs) to acquire.

Last edited by CL600CK60V12; 03-20-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: additional info