CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Automobile Magazine CL65 Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
Automobile Magazine CL65 Review

The reviewer preferred the CL55 to the CL65. They are both over the top cars, but the 65 is so far over that unless one spends a lot of time on the Autobahn, one probably cannot begin to explore its capabilities. The issue also has a brief review of a top speed run in a Bentley Continental GT. If I were in the market for a car in the GT's price range, I would be very tempted to get one. I cannot imagine how long the waiting list is or what the premium will be to get one within a few months of their introduction here. I read somewhere that the production run for the USA bound GT's will be in the 1300 range, which is almost three times the CL55 rate. I'll bet that in places like south Florida the GT will look fairly common six months after its introduction, not unlike the new SL. BTW, does anyone have a reliable count of 2003 CL55's delivered in the USA?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
The CL65 is quicker than a Lambo Murcie, and could give a GT2 a scare from 0-150mph.

Suffice to say, the car is a beast. Your CL55 will do 0-150mph in about 22-23 seconds, 6-7 seconds later, the Bentley will also do 0-150mph.

It may be luxurious and all, but the styling is not my cup of tea, plus an engine which does 12mpg, has a torque rating of 479lb/ft, range of about 200miles, is not really capable of being called a "Grand Tourer", unless your idea of GT'ing is from home to the supermarket...

Oh yes, about the Lambo Murcie, one review said an E55 could take it down, so in a CL65.....

"How fast is it compared with, say, a Ferrari 360 Modena? In the real world, faster. You think I’m joking; I’m not. Okay, how about a Lamborghini Murciélago? Surely that would top the E55 in a traffic light GP? Nope. Not unless you made the perfect getaway and nailed every gearchange to within a millimetre of the rev limiter (not easy in a Murciélago, trust me)."

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/First....asp?RT=204677