CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Buying a used CL AMG questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
W140, CLS55, SL65
Question Buying a used CL AMG questions

Hi Guys!

I always like CL cars, but since buying a used and probably w/o warranty luxury vehicle can quickly empty your pockets for repairs/maintenance then I have couple questions for you guys.

I'm looking only for W216 either pre-facelifted or 2010+ facelifted model.

The first thing is whether to buy a N/A model or biturbo. I know that turbos add not only power, but also that setup should be more technically complicated and it should be more expensive to maintain. In this regard I was thinking about either CL63 pre-facelifted which has 6.3 N/A engine or if we go for facelifted model than it may be CL600/CL63/CL65.

And the second first thing I wonder what are the typical failures of CL2016 AMG models? In other words what are the usual failures that a buyer of a used CL AMG should expect?

The third thing is about DIY. I didn't find a lot of repair/maintenance threads here (except those concerning ABC), so it seems that CL AMG owners either don't DIY. I know when you buy a brand new MB CL then you don't need to worry about repairs due to a warranty and because you have money to fix any failures at dealership. But it seems that there are guys here who buy 2008 CL AMG vehicles. I suppose those vehicles are out of warranty. Or maybe these cars are solid like a tank and usually last long? I just can't believe in it, because car manufacturers don't want to make cars that will last forever!

Thank you!