CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

09 cl63 or 12 e63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about 06 e55
09 cl63 or 12 e63

I'm sorry if this is a annoying thread
I would like some people with real experience with these cars
I like the e63 cause of the twin turbos it responds better with mods
But is the cl nice and is a little cheaper

Leave feedback guys and gals please
Old 01-21-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
The E will have the new and easily moddable M157 engine along with newer technology.

The CL will have the 6.2 with high revs, intoxicating exhaust note, but far less power without substantial mods. Since the CL is a tank, it will definitely feel like less power too.

Points for the CL: Aside from "older" tech, it's still got top of the line tech for '09 MB's. The interior is leaps & bounds ahead of any of the "lesser" models. And, as you say, it is cheaper.

I was in the same boat last year & went with the CL. The main reason for my choice was twofold:

I was going to get a CLS63 with carbon ceramic brakes, but the MB dealer that had it was so obnoxious I walked out of "negotiations" (he refused to negotiate and was an ***)

I'm currently working out of the country for about 9 months a year; it was hard to justify buying a substantially newer CL that would simply sit in the garage & "get old" and depreciate without me enjoying it much. I was able to find one with every option I wanted. (I couldn't find a CL65 with what I wanted, in the time I had)

I don't regret my decision at all. The only negatives that really affect me are that the car doesn't have nearly the same power as my old E55 - Kleemann K3. I went with a Kleemann K2 on the CL & it still doesn't come close. I could get there with a supercharger, but dollar for dollar, it's just very expensive to mod the M156. And of course, the CL is a tank compared to the others as well. If you're going older, you might look at the 65's if more power is your thing.

The only "real" problem is that I'm now "stuck" with the high end MB's. I don't think I can step back down to the interior of anything less than a CL/S/S Coupe. Don't get me wrong, the E is still very nice inside, just not nearly as refined.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
So true Andy. The seats and interior bits are on another plateau.

What's great about the CL is just so few of them it really is a special car. I too want a TwinTurbo set up but I'm just going to wait for the scoupe used in 2017
Now that is an interior !