CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

German aftermarket 2 micron ABC filter, good idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 65/LX470
German aftermarket 2 micron ABC filter, good idea?

I have recently moved and we are in the process of finding a good independent mechanic. The local Mercedes Club members recommended a shop and I spoke with the owner yesterday. My CL65 has 50,000 miles and when asked what preventive maintenance I could do to avoid future repairs he recommended flushing the ABC system and changing the filter. He told me that MB changed the specs on the stock ABC filter to a smaller micron filter but that the aftermarket is much finer than stock.

Does this sound like good advice? Thoughts on other preventive maintenance recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
What? What aftermarket brand is it? Please ask him and tell me.
The current MB ABC filter is 3 micron already. The stock ones were 10micron IIRC and therefor crap.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:35 PM

CL 65/LX470
http://www.exclusiv-automobile.de/ww.../Produkte.html

Doesn't appear to be in their eBay store.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Make sure they do the ABC entire system and the transmission

Originally Posted by GoodBeach
My CL65 has 50,000 miles and when asked what preventive maintenance I could do to avoid future repairs he recommended flushing the ABC system and changing the filter.

Does this sound like good advice? Thoughts on other preventive maintenance recommendations would be appreciated.
Make sure when the ABC system's fluid and filters are changed (Crissus is correct about the 3 mil MB filters - use those) that the fluid in the struts is changed also.
Otherwise you are only changing a fraction of the fluid. There is a WIS or Star procedure for performing this strut renewal as part of the entire "drain and renew" process- don't let someone tell you it doesn't exist. You can check this by looking in your OM that the capacity of the ABC system is much greater that the amount of fluid usually changed.

This ABC procedure is analogous to the 722.6 transmission fluid change that is on the dealer service adviser sheet. Now it is at 37kMiles. It calls for new filter, new gasket, clean magnet and 4 quarts of MB or Shell 134 ATF ONLY. However that transmission (in my CL55 -YMMV) takes about 9.1 quarts of fluid. What about the dirty and perhaps older spec 5.1 quarts that remain? Again, there is a WIS/Star procedure for draining ALL the fluid but you might have to elevate it to the service manager and find a tech with enough experience to believe you and perform it. "Drop the pan" fluid changes doesn't cut it with me.

Nest, I would recommend the above COMPLETE transmission fluid replacement at your car's mileage in addition to the COMPLETE ABC fluid drain and renew. You may have to find an indy who has a STAR/WIS computer that can plug into your OBDII system to perform the latter service. Basically there are drains on the struts that allow the car to "push out" the old fluid by gravity. Then the procedure becomes more complicated and you need a good tech with experience and the right tools and computer to complete the process without damage to the system.

Finally, I would have the rear end differential grease replaced.

Note: you can get both the Shell ATF fluid, transmission filters, etc. and the Pentosin needed for the ABC system at a great price on Amazon. It is the same stuff MB uses but in expensive bottles.

I am happy to receive corrections or further informed opinions on my descriptions and assertions.

Last edited by grane; 05-09-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:51 AM

CL 65/LX470
Originally Posted by grane
Make sure when the ABC system's fluid and filters are changed (Crissus is correct about the 3 mil MB filters - use those) that the fluid in the struts is changed also.
Otherwise you are only changing a fraction of the fluid. There is a WIS or Star procedure for performing this strut renewal as part of the entire "drain and renew" process- don't let someone tell you it doesn't exist. You can check this by looking in your OM that the capacity of the ABC system is much greater that the amount of fluid usually changed.

This ABC procedure is analogous to the 722.6 transmission fluid change that is on the dealer service adviser sheet. Now it is at 37kMiles. It calls for new filter, new gasket, clean magnet and 4 quarts of MB or Shell 134 ATF ONLY. However that transmission (in my CL55 -YMMV) takes about 9.1 quarts of fluid. What about the dirty and perhaps older spec 5.1 quarts that remain? Again, there is a WIS/Star procedure for draining ALL the fluid but you might have to elevate it to the service manager and find a tech with enough experience to believe you and perform it. "Drop the pan" fluid changes doesn't cut it with me.

Nest, I would recommend the above COMPLETE transmission fluid replacement at your car's mileage in addition to the COMPLETE ABC fluid drain and renew. You may have to find an indy who has a STAR/WIS computer that can plug into your OBDII system to perform the latter service. Basically there are drains on the struts that allow the car to "push out" the old fluid by gravity. Then the procedure becomes more complicated and you need a good tech with experience and the right tools and computer to complete the process without damage to the system.

Finally, I would have the rear end differential grease replaced.

Note: you can get both the Shell ATF fluid, transmission filters, etc. and the Pentosin needed for the ABC system at a great price on Amazon. It is the same stuff MB uses but in expensive bottles.

I am happy to receive corrections or further informed opinions on my descriptions and assertions.
Wow, great post. What are your thoughts on changing accumulators at the same time. Cost vs benefit analysis? I have an indy shop with Star. Accumulators around $185 per plus 2 hours labor. I don't know if labor is per accumulator or I had discussed changing one with the flush.