CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Red battery message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 CL55, 2003 SL55 and 2009 G55
Red battery message

So started to get the red "battery message take to shop" message this week. At first I fugre my battery was just low and figured it would charge on way to work with all accessories off. I replaced the battery less than 6 months ago with actual MBZ battery (ouch!) but I liked it vs the options.

So on way home silly message popped up on Navigation screen saying "if I dint start the car it was going to start shutting things down"...hhmmm! Though that was weird since I was driving! THought maybe it didnt recognize key. So at the next light I shut off put key in ignition and wala not starty!

Pushed to side of road someone gave me jump and off I went...pulled into Autozone just as all lights went out pulled battery had them charge for 90min put their meter on it and...dead voltage regulator

So ordered new regulator installed this weekend (btw - the E and CL must be different because it was not 20 min job getting my hand between the rack and cross member and up to alternator - plus no one having true pictures that I could find...I will do one soon for W215 CL) and yet still receiving same message....

I've been reading the E (W211's) have aux battery and Battery Control Unit...don't believe the W215 have the BCU....next step is to go get hooked up to see if any weird codes before replacing Alternator...ouch! Autozone device said inclusive but battery wasn't draining when hooked up....weird.

Any ideas/thoughts/advice...besides get a clue

Cheers...
Old 03-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
If it were me, I would get the charging system load tested-hat will locate the fault!!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
Call the psychic hotline or have the charging system checked out. Its no big deal.