CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Mercedes CL55/Cl65 AMG 2005 questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SL55 AMG 05
Mercedes CL55/Cl65 AMG 2005 questions.

Hey guys, I am looking at a purchasing a CL55 or CL65 AMG..Been wanting to get one for the longest time and finally decided now is the time!
However I was wondering what kind of problems if any this car faces when it gets higher miles and how long these car go for mile wise?

I went an test drove a gorgeous CL65 yesterday but the previous owner had drove the car horrible.. The cars transmission was pretty bad and car just didnt sound right. Going to check out a CL55 tomorrow that has 135xx miles on it. The guy said it runs great and he just replaced the rotors and pads front and back. Is that to high for this car? Cant find any around me with miles below 100xx.. This will also be a daily driver for me.

Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
If you could get a 65 i'd go for that. Night and day in power delivery with the V12. A tune and you're running or smoking quite a few cars out there. Plenty of threads with what to look out for. the typical: ABC suspension, Coil Packs, Door seals, rotors and brakes.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 CL55
Originally Posted by Quinlovescars
Hey guys, I am looking at a purchasing a CL55 or CL65 AMG..Been wanting to get one for the longest time and finally decided now is the time! However I was wondering what kind of problems if any this car faces when it gets higher miles and how long these car go for mile wise? I went an test drove a gorgeous CL65 yesterday but the previous owner had drove the car horrible.. The cars transmission was pretty bad and car just didnt sound right. Going to check out a CL55 tomorrow that has 135xx miles on it. The guy said it runs great and he just replaced the rotors and pads front and back. Is that to high for this car? Cant find any around me with miles below 100xx.. This will also be a daily driver for me. Thanks!!
Depends on how it's been maintained. My 05 now has 131k miles on it and I'd drive it anywhere and not worry about it. It is my daily driver as well. Expect it to eat rear tires fairly quick and transmission mounts which luckily the mount is cheap and very easy to replace.
Mechanically speaking the engine and transmission is rock solid and should easily propel you past 200k miles. It is after all, a hand built engine. It's the electronic gadgetry and suspension that plague these cars but don't let that scare you away. The 05/06 models seem to be the most electronically sorted and the ABC system is easy to maintain for the DIY-er. The intercooler pump and supercharger bearing has been the only Kompressor model issues I've had and both were cheap easy fixes I did myself. Good luck in your search. I would LOVE to take a 65 for spin but then I'd probably buy it.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz E55 AMG, CL55 AMG, C32 AMG, e46 M3, Ducati 996, s197 Mustang
not sure if you found something by now, but I absolutely love my CL55. It's a 2003 with 89,000 and was owned by an NBA ref in Vegas before I purchased it. He was up to date on all service and I have all the receipts as well.... It was pretty pricey. I have run into some ABC issues so I am looking at a about $500 for a "new" valve block and $200 for fluids and filters. I do my won work so I do save a good amount of money.

Overall the v12 Mercs are amazing.. but when I first got my CL55 I was getting 12 MPG.. and I was DRIVING it!! Now I have had my fun and don't really get on it as much and am getting 17mpg. I drive a decent amount so it is a pretty accurate number.

Overall on looks/enthusiast POV I would rather have the CL65.. I mean, it is a v12?

Hope you found/finding what you want to get.. You can't go wrong with either.

Cheers